That’s what Sarah said…

Rodriguez

Rodriguez

Years ago if you had told me that I would have the opportunity to be the editor-in-chief of the student newspaper at Liberty University in 2016, I would have had more than serious doubts.

But, here I am, a junior journalism student named Sarah Rodriguez, ready to tackle one of the biggest challenges in my life to date.

For a long time, I didn’t even want to come to Liberty.

I thought only the “crazy Christians” went to that school where I wouldn’t be able to wear my regular attire of T-shirts and athletic shorts.

But lo and behold, God closed enough doors and opened the right ones, and I came to Liberty in 2013 ready to study journalism.

From when I can remember, I have enjoyed writing and asking a billion questions.

As a child, my grandparents would ask me if I was a newspaper reporter when I would ask them countless question after question.

But as any young child who grew up with a father who loved sports and made a point to teach his children about his passion, my dream was to play professional sports for a living.

My severe lack of speed and height didn’t faze my naïve dream, until I began to grow up and realize professional sports wasn’t really going to work out.

In elementary school, I began to think of other options to fulfill this passion for sports, and in my little, elementary-minded brain, the only logical thing was to work for ESPN when I grew up.

Each morning before school I would sit on the couch and watch SportsCenter before it was time to run to the bus stop. My obsession with sports was strange for a young girl, but I embraced it.

I knew I wanted to be a sports reporter when I grew up.

As I grew older, I held onto that dream and worked to prepare myself the best I could for college and beyond. And here I am.

After writing as a sports reporter for the Champion for a year, and then as the news editor this past year, I don’t know exactly where I’m going, but my dream is still alive.

God may tweak it here and there or he may turn it around 180 degrees, who knows? But I’m excited to see!

I am so very excited to have the opportunity to be the next editor-in-chief of such a great newspaper.

I am so thankful for wonderful staff members who have pushed me to be the best journalist I can be and who also just enjoy a good laugh when times get stressful.

I am so thankful for Nate Haywood, the editor-in-chief before me, who loves a good sports discussion and helped make my first year on the Champion staff one of the best learning experiences yet.

Heading into next year, the possibilities are endless. I love telling people’s stories, and I cannot wait to continue that next year.

Rodriguez is the editor-in-chief.

3 comments

• Jeanie Rodriguez

Excellent job, Sarah. Proud of your writing accomplishments. Good luck in 2016.

• I remember when you were no more than 4 years old, reading and writing grade level books! I vividly remember saying to you, “Wow Sarah, God has big plans for you! I bet you will be a renowned author of a book someday!” I was so impressed with your vocabulary, language comprehension, and communication skills. Congratulations! God Bless you!

• Congratulations, Sarah! So proud of you and always knew you would accomplish great things from the time you were a little girl. Have a great summer. Looking forward to seeing what the coming year brings into your life. “For with God, all things are possible!”