Reflection: how time does fly

A student looks back on her Liberty years and what she learned in the process

I still do not know.

About six months ago, I wrote an editorial for the Liberty Champion titled, “Having Faith in the Uncertain,” where I reflected upon the beginning of my senior year, wondering what the future would hold.

Well, here I am, almost to the end of my senior year, and I still do not have a plan.

This year has flown by, and nostalgia has begun to set in. Four years — four years — finished before I knew what happened to them.

It is a strange feeling, this looking backward and forward at the same time. One might call it bittersweet. One chapter ending and another beginning. Insert metaphor of choice here.

I sit, staring at my screen, wondering how I can sum up four years in one measly editorial. Where to begin?

recall — Graduating seniors reminisce on their undergraduate memories. Photo credit: Caroline Sellers |

Recall — Graduating seniors reminisce on their undergraduate memories. Photo credit: Caroline Sellers |

I never thought I would end up here, at Liberty University. In fact, I said I never would, even though I applied and was accepted my senior year of high school.

I may have even told God I would not come here. I am not proud of that, but I have to be honest.

My first year of college was spent seven hours away from home, at a university much smaller than Liberty.

The homesickness and the work were difficult, and God taught me much that year, both about myself and himself.

And while I definitely enjoyed my time at said university, I left in May 2013 and knew I would not be returning. Now what?

I prayed and searched, searched and prayed. As a native Virginian, I knew I wanted to stay in state. I also knew that I wanted a Christian education.

So, after narrowing down my options, Liberty was once again on the table. “OK, God,” I said. “I’ll reapply.” And I did. And I was reaccepted. And after spending a week in Honduras with my parents for a mission trip, I came to visit campus.

And by the end of the day that Friday in June, I knew where I needed to be.

Sometimes, when I walk around campus, I laugh. I laugh because this was never a part of my plan, but I know without a doubt that it was always a part of God’s. I laugh because God certainly
has a sense of humor.

Now, my three years at Liberty have come to an end, and oddly enough, I am a little bit sad. This is a special place.

I am thankful for what I have learned over the past four years.

To freshman year: Thank you for teaching me how to brave the single digit temperatures, the unsweet tea, and the confused looks of random people I said hello to up North.

To sophomore year: Thank you for teaching me how to ride the bus back and forth from the Annex. Enough said.

To junior year: Thank you for teaching me the value of coffee. Lots of coffee.

To senior year: Thank you for teaching me.

My fellow graduates, I pray that you will follow God wherever he leads you.

When Jesus calls us to follow him, he often does not tell us where he is going. But we know with whom we go.

All of you young’ns with some time left here — I urge you to value it. Strive to do well, but do not make your work an idol. Perfectionism, worry and anxiety will choke the life out of you. Believe me, I know.

Make yourself get out of your comfort zone. See the people around you. It will be worth it. And as the quote inside my box of Sun-Maid raisins says, “Keep your hands open, both to receive and to
give.”

Remember God. That is really all I can say. Even as a Christian, I far too easily forget him. But he is here. Expect much of him. I am humbled.

Humbled by the fact that I have the privilege of graduating from a university that encourages its students to seek Jesus and share his good news with others. Humbled that I am a part of the diverse and passionate body of Christ.

Humbled that even in my pride, stubbornness and sin, God forgave me and brought me here, to Liberty.

I walk away from this place a changed woman. And for that, I am grateful.

Oh, and one more thing. Do not ever tell God what you are not going to do.

Graf is a feature writer.