‘Time to train some champions’

Equestrian program looks to gain recognition with new executive director

To be one of the top 10 teams in the country may seem like a “big goal” but the new Executive Director of Liberty’s Equestrian Center Jim Arrigon believes the equestrian team can meet it.

Preparation — The horses get groomed in the stalls before an event. Photo credit: Ruth Bibby

An equestrian coach formerly based in Ohio, Arrigon coached NCAA, Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA) and Interscholastic Equestrian Association (IEA) equestrian teams to national success, according to his biography on liberty.edu. Additionally, Arrigon is the national secretary of the IHSA and was awarded the 2005 IHSA lifetime achievement award.

Arrigon first met Liberty’s hunter seat coach Lori Matthews during a recruiting trip Matthews took to IEA Nationals April 2015, according to co-captain of the equestrian team, Elizabeth Chenelle. Prior to the meeting, Arrigon heard about Liberty through Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) Director of Equestrian studies Eddie Federwisch.

“My friend Eddie at (SCAD) kept telling me ‘the one you’re watching is Liberty,’” Arrigon said. “The reason (I chose) Liberty is because I knew that everything they did they did correctly and they (did not) do anything halfway.”

Initially, Arrigon was not looking to coach another collegiate team after his previous successes in the industry.

“After I left Miami (University) I thought that I was done with the college thing,” Arrigon said.” (But), every year I’d go to IHSA nationals and I’d plan nationals … and I would just start missing the college thing more.”

Arrigon’s vision for quality equestrian teams started before he applied for the job at Liberty, according to Arrigon, but his ongoing goals for riders drew him to Liberty.

“When I looked at Liberty’s website and the first thing I saw was “Training Champions for Christ,” I said to myself, ‘it’s time to train some champions,’” Arrigon said. “That really (was) a sign from God.”

Being one of the top teams in the south and eventually in the nation are some of the goals that Arrigon has for the team.

“The first step is to make everybody good technicians,” Arrigon said. “But, it’s not just the rider’s technique but (also) the rider’s attitude toward the horse and their attitude toward the facilities.”

Though Arrigon believes the goals he has for the team are high, he admires the attitude Liberty equestrians show.

“We have a bunch of students that are very ambitious and that’s a good start,” Arrigon said. “Some schools have people that are perfectly comfortable being mediocre … I think our students are ambitious and want to be the best.”

In order to attain these aspirations, new facilities are planned to be added to the equestrian center.

“We’re going to have two twin arenas, one inside, one outside and at the end of the school year we should have (about) 60 stalls to work with,” Arrigon said.

The new facilities and added staff have Chenelle, who has been on the equestrian team since it began in 2013, excited for the upcoming season.

“I just want everyone to have fun and really love this year,” Chenelle said. “I think (Arrigon’s) goals are completely attainable.”

Chenelle believes the athletic goals for Liberty’s Equestrian team align with Liberty’s motto as a school.

“We come at (competitions) from a different perspective,” Chenelle said. “Our goal isn’t to win for ourselves. Our goal is to win in Christ’s name and all the glory goes to him.”

Arrigon wants Liberty’s team to be one of the best in the nation but not at the expense of teamwork and excellence.

“College riding has shown me how to develop people with skills that will serve them for the rest of their lives and team build in a way that will serve them for the rest of their lives,” Arrigon said. “ We’re not just developing riders for the horseshow. We’re developing members that are going to be good people.”

For Arrigon, coaching collegiate riding goes far beyond the fences and fields of competition. With that mindset, Chenelle thinks the idea of being a top 10 program in the nation does not seem so far away for the Liberty Flames Equestrian team.

Steptoe is a news reporter.