Liberty professor impacts design market

SADA professor Monique Maloney excels with her designs while helping students improve their skills

Every person has a story to tell, a role to play, a passion in the depths of their soul that ignites change and creativity in people, an inspiration to be something more than we ever thought possible.

Liberty University is a place fueled by immensely talented teachers whose goal is to take some of their God-given gifts and pass them on to the next generation in hopes of changing the world for Christ. One of many teachers who share in this responsibility is Monique Maloney.

Otterbox — Maloney submitted six designs to Otterbox for iPhone cases, three of which were chosen for the company’s “Eternality” line. Photo provided

It takes more than just knowledge to be a great teacher. In the words of William Arthur Ward, “The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.” The gift of inspiration can be far and few to come by, but it shines brightly in Maloney.

Growing up in the town of Springfield, Mass. and moving to the town of South Hadley at age 10, Maloney was embedded with creativity from the very beginning.

“My mom and uncle all went to art school,” Maloney said. “There were times where I thought maybe I could do this or that, but I always fell back to art.”

Raised in the Baptist church, Maloney was taught the ways of God at an early age. Maloney said that her parents told her she was baptized and saved at a young age, but not until college did she define her faith in Christ.

“I ended up at a Christian college,” Maloney said. “It was my senior year during a Bible conference when the speaker said, ‘If you can’t remember a time and place where you were saved, don’t go by what other people tell you.’”

Maloney also emphasized the importance of taking a stand for what you believe.

“You need to make it a stake in the ground — here we go, this is what I believe in. And I accepted Christ that day.”

Before her years at Liberty, Maloney’s life goal was to be successful in advertising. She would work all day, every day if she had to.

Photo provided

“I wanted to be the most successful at a career and make a name for myself,” Maloney said.

But now, her focus has been on what God wants her to do and how she can reflect her art to God and live a life that is different.

“I want to find a balance where it’s not just career, but it’s family and community and loving others and giving back and reflecting art to God,” Maloney said.

Maloney turns 30 this year, but in no way is she slowing down.

“Your 20s, you spend some of it in college and other parts of it getting experience and just living life and maybe settling down. I think 30 is the time to feel a little more confident in what you do, because you’re no longer searching out things, you’re just getting better at what you’re already doing.”

According to an article on Liberty’s website, Maloney has even designed a line of iPhone cases for Otterbox called the “Eternality” line. Three of her six designs were chosen for the line, one of which is available in two colors.

Maloney has been married for eight years to her husband John, and they have a 2-year-old daughter, Zoey, and a 6-year-old shih tzu named Bella. Maloney is currently enrolled in graduate school, seeking her master’s in graphic design.

“I love my job, and I am so thankful. I don’t even think of it as a job. To me, I enjoy waking up every morning and coming to work,” Maloney said.

• I live at Smith Mt Lake and have a ministry retreat called Shepherds Gate. I also write and I am now looking for an illustrator for my Christmas childrens book, I need 10 watercolor or similar designs 8 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ full bleed digital reproductions. My first book was published by Harvest House Publishers and Susan Wheeler was my artist but this one I am self publishing. If you can give me some help or direction I would appreciate it. Maybe there is a student that would like to do an internship for this project. I have samples of some illustrations I like.
    Thanks,
    Brenda Gay Shumaker
    http://www.shepherdsgateretreat.org
    http://www.designsforliving.org (my Bio)