Atchison wins SGA

Liberty University’s Student Government Association (SGA) announced Chad Atchison as the new student body president and Joshua Warner as the new student body vice president, defeating Ross Cado and his running mate Claire Francisco. Students placed their votes for the SGA president and vice president Friday, April 20.

Candidates campaigned in the back hall of DeMoss in the days prior to the election. Students were able to meet the candidates, hear their platform and voice their opinion.

“I feel relieved that election week is over, but determined to fulfill this great responsibility entrusted to me by the students. God bless everyone who participated, supported and campaigned for me and the other candidates. We can all be proud of our accomplishments,” Atchison said.

Atchison said he plans for the SGA to have an impact in the student body academically, socially and spiritually. Academically, Atchison seeks to find out what each individual department needs in order to instruct their students better.

“I personally would seek to have a personal assurance of our support and involvement,” Atchison said.

Atchison stated he seeks for SGA to support and partner more with other clubs, as well as have more of a presence at athletic events.

Spiritually, Atchison said he desires to partner with the Office of Student Leadership to help with the problems student leaders face.

“So often our student leaders become overwhelmed and frustrated and as student body president, I would seek to alleviate those stresses,” Atchison said.

In order to achieve these goals, Atchison will need the help of Vice President-Elect Warner.
Warner’s belief in the student body and helping them be heard inspired him to run for vice president.

“I have a desire and passion to serve the students of Liberty University by advocating for them to the administration. The student’s voice needs to be heard on campus and that is why I decided to run for the vice president position of the student body,” Warner said.

Warner said he seeks to create unity in the student body through social media, clubs, networking and sharing the students’ voice with administration.

Above all the agendas, Atchison stated honoring God was top priority.

“In everything I do, I hold myself accountable first and foremost to God. Through faith, we are going to impact this university. Through faith, we are going to revitalize the SGA. Through faith, we are going to advocate. Through faith, we are strong. I cannot wait to begin this next year,” Atchison said.

Atchison and Warner shared their platforms and beliefs, like honoring God, with students during campaign week last week. They also used social media, spoke to classes and handed out coupons and treats to campaign.

Both Atchison and Warner held SGA positions in previous years, so they understand how crucial the president and vice president positions are.

Elections Committee Chair Thomas Turner stated the SGA president and vice president positions are very important to both the student body and SGA.

“These positions are important because they act as the chief advocates to the student body, they serve as the head of government in SGA and they set the agenda for the year,” Turner said.

According to Turner, the president is responsible for setting the agenda for the school year, which includes events and legislation. The president also appoints a cabinet and nominates an administrative branch.

Atchison and Warner won against Presidential candidate Ross Cado and his running mate Claire Francisco.