From the desk

“Be still and know that I am God,” Psalm 46:10.

This semester has been crazy. Parking dilemmas, politics, wedding arrangements and post graduation plans have dominated my agenda. And, of course, just when I think life can’t get any crazier, a 15-page paper strategically places itself on top of it all.

College is hard. Life is hard — but no one promised that it would be easy. Coming to such a hectic point in the semester, or in life, we could throw ourselves a pity party, but pity does not fix the situation. It is by understanding that our strength does not come through us.

“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, even though the earth be removed, and the mountains be carried into the midst of the
sea,” Psalm 46:1-2.

As I sat completely consumed with my “hard” life, God broke through with his purpose and plan.

Psalm 46 is all about trusting in God. It is about understanding that apart from him we have no good.

When life has taken a rough turn and there seems to be no other way to go God says, “Be still.”

His purpose for giving us the Bible was not to condemn us for our imperfection, but to show us that although we are imperfect, his love covers a multitude of problems, and by his strength we will survive.

Sometimes it is through the roughest of situations that we find God calling us to stop and take a moment to dwell on the fact that he is going to carry us through, no matter what happens.

When I take a second to think about how small my problems are in comparison to mountains falling into the sea, finally, I realize that God’s grace is not that he handles my “huge” problems. His grace is in that he carries my heart through not only my minor issues, but has promised to hold me through anything.

There is comfort in knowing that no matter what we are facing God is there for us. All we have to do is be still and know that he is God.