Former professor dies following heart surgery

The death of Pastor David Randlett came as a shock to everyone who knew him. After experiencing burning in his upper chest, which he misattributed to a digestive problem, he sought medical treatment Oct. 12. There he found out he had major artery blockage in his heart.

Randlett had no history of heart disease, so open heart surgical complications came as a shock, and by early Friday morning his condition appeared stable. However, at 5 a.m., Friday Oct. 15, his body began to fail and despite the doctors’ best efforts, he died. His family gathered around his hospital bed for prayer and singing.

“He died three days after we realized he had heart problems. It was a massive shock to all of us. It still does not seem real,” Randlett’s son-in-law Rusty Goodwin said.

Of David Randlett’s wife M.J., his younger brother Doug Randlett, said, “(she) does not grieve as those without hope.  She exhibits a peace that passes human understanding, that which can only come from God.”

The family is seeking comfort and peace from God and receiving it largely from the Thomas Road Baptist Church (TRBC) congregation.

“TRBC has been incredible in response to the tragedy.  Name it— food, visits, cards, etc. On and on the response to assist M.J. and the family continues,” Doug Randlett said.

On Wednesday, Oct. 20, TRBC housed a memorial service in celebration of the life of David Randlett. Over 1,500 friends and family wept, sang and worshipped with the Randletts in demonstration of their love and support.

Nearly all of the original Sounds of Liberty members attended the service and an alumni choir accompanied by Rusty Goodwin sang “My Tribute” in memory of the great man and his passion for music.

Through music and his everyday life, David Randlett influenced others in unspeakable ways.

“Time, money, work, advice, prayer, love, comfort, help — no request was too great. He always gave himself away,” Goodwin said.

The family said they received hundreds of calls, texts, e-mails and messages from people who had been specifically touched by Randlett’s life.

“My brother was six years older and was always my hero,” Doug Randlett said. “His greatest influence in my life was his lifelong belief in me that I could do “great” things for God. He was my biggest cheerleader.”

David Randlett was an instrumental figure in the early days of TRBC and Liberty University.

He was the chairman of Liberty’s music department and led the TRBC choir for 23 years. He directed TRBC’s annual Living Christmas Tree for 20 years. He began the Sounds of Liberty singing group and he spent the last 15 years as senior associate pastor at TRBC.

“He never planned on retiring.  He said he loved what he did and had no reason to ever not do it.  Well, he did not retire –- he just moved on to his next assignment,” Doug Randlett said.

HEAVNER is a news writer.

2 comments

• Just learned of David’s passing. Was shocked. I have many good memories of you and your family and thank God for using all of youl
    With prayer and best regards,
    Jack Paramore

• I just found this information regarding one of my mentors. I was thrilled to read about his later life after we lost touch. My story is probably not unlike many others he impacted. After attending Freewill Baptist Bible College for three and a half years trying to understand God’s direction in my life Mr. Randlett took me in his office and asked if I was crazy? Since entering college in 1968 I was a part of Mr. Randlett’s choir and played guitar for the quartet. I was studying to be a missionary or pastor. Recognizing my gifts in music he contacted and friend at Belmont University, arranged an audition, and interview. I was accepted and was given a scholarship. I graduated with a degree in church music and as a vocal major. As a result of Mr. Randlett’s care and insight I was led to many accomplishments, a few of which were; director of the “second best” small church choir in Nashville for 48 years, wrote and produced ” The Passion Play, His Promise Our Hope” for 20 years, founding member of the contemporary Christian band, Malachi for over 20 years, and co-writer of the historical musical drama, based on the Second Great Awakening, “Light Along the Cumberland. All of this and more due to the insight of one man, David Randlett. Today, I sit on the back row of the tenor section of the choir I directed for 48 years. I have also had the privilege or writing several books. I really hope David puts in a good word for me and gets me in to the Heavenly choir:) You never know who you influence, one way or the other. Blessings. Bob G. Shupe