SELS Club

The newly founded Law School’s Sports and Entertainment Law Society (SELS) hosted its first open house on Friday, Aug. 16. The club, founded by Paige Wells along with current student and vice president of SELS John Maghamez, has 20 founding members.

Rockin’ — Franck will be preforming Sept. 13 in Towns Auditorium. Photo provided

“Our mission … is to get a better understanding of what are the legal issues in the entertainment industry and music, movies and sports industry and, as Christians, how we can interact with that and how we can make a difference in those industries through our legal knowledge,” Josh Dawson, the club’s second vice president, said.

Through SELS, students will gain many opportunities to apply the knowledge they are gaining in the classroom.

“I am working very hard to grow the law school in a positive direction and give the students, including myself, the greatest opportunity to serve the Lord during law school and after graduation,” Dawson said.

The first SELS-hosted event will be a concert Sept. 13, featuring Johnny Franck, the former lead guitarist of Attack Attack!, which is an electronica band that incorporates metal and rock elements into its songs. Franck left Attack Attack! on Nov. 10, 2010.

“I put the band above God, and that’s something that was really damaging to me,” Franck said during his farewell video to fans posted on prp.com. “So, I’m stepping down to refocus my life on God and work on strengthening my relationship with him.”

Franck’s music conveys a Christian message and, according to Dawson, Franck will also speak to students about the legal and business consequences related to leaving Attack Attack!. He will also address the difficulties in producing music without a major record label backing.

In addition to producing his own music, Franck also produces the music of Christian rock bands.

“It’s going to be a fun night, and hopefully some people will get something from his testimony too,” Dawson said. “I think that’s the most important part of it.”

The concert is $5 for students with a valid Flames Pass and $10 for others. Funds raised by the event will directly benefit SELS and help them purchase a legal journal. SELS members will later contribute to and help produce the journal. Dawson also hopes to use a portion of the club’s funds to send members to negotiation tournaments.

The concert will be held Sept. 13 in Towns Auditorium at 7 p.m., with doors opening at 6:30 p.m.