Opinion: Christians can glorify God by voting on Election Day

As a confused college student, there are many questions I do not know the answers to.

Does Ramen contain any nutritional value? How does everyone claim to be poor but go to Fiji for spring break? Does that person I have never officially met, but see everywhere on campus recognize me too?  Are there sock raptures that continuously take only one of my socks? Is only one sock taken because it has a hole in it, making it holier than the other?

As November approaches, I find myself asking why it is important for Christians, and Americans in general, to get out and vote? Then, I am reminded that the same factors that influence how I vote as a Christian are also what influence me to vote in the first place. Having one answer help me to understand two questions makes me feel like I have won the lottery.

Bringing honor and glory to God is my foundation for living every day, and voting falls within that. Governments are established by God and, while it is easy for me to look at governments throughout the world and wonder if God knows what he is doing, I trust his sovereignty and that his ways are higher than our ways. If God has placed me in a system that, despite its flaws, allows me the privilege of voting, I believe it shows gratitude to take advantage of this blessing.

Bringing honor and glory to God is my primary purpose once I step into the booth as well. I weigh every issue, not by how it affects a certain political party, but how it affects the spread of God’s name is throughout my country and communities.

My Christian conscience, guided by the Holy Spirit, also drives me to vote because, if I do not vote, I do not see myself as having a right to criticize the current state of our country. At times I feel helpless to change many of the problems in America, but how can I challenge others to take action if I am not willing to do so myself?

My Christian conscience guides me as I vote as well, reminding me that there are compromises that cannot be made. There are certain candidates that, though part of their platform may include benefits for the church, I cannot vote for them due to how that candidate may live a lifestyle contradictory to the Bible.

The well-being and benefit of my neighbor is the final reason I vote. Not every candidate or issue will affect me, but, if they will affect those around me, I should vote so that I can help promote a better life for all.

This is why the well-being and benefit of my neighbor provides a framework for my voting as well, as I strive to give a voice to voiceless. Someone needs to fight for the millions of babies being aborted who cannot defend themselves. Someone needs to vote for a better educational system, as the children just starting their schooling are over a decade away from having a say.

As Christians, we should seek to bring God glory, obey our Christian conscience and promote public good. Those are my reasons for voting and my framework for how I vote. Outside of that, these understandings provide answers to a multitude of other issues and give the peace necessary to accept situations where there are no answers.

In God we trust.