Create, Direct, and Produce with a Degree in Film Production and Content Development from Liberty University
Do you have career aspirations of becoming a producer, director, or cinematographer? Partner your passion for film or television with our experienced faculty, Christian ethics, and cutting edge facilities. We can help equip you with the skills you’ll need to make an impact in today’s film and television industry with your Bachelor of Science in Film Production and Content Development!
You deserve to study at a university that breaks the traditional mold for film and television education. We’ve created our film school around hands-on experience taught by skilled professionals who have worked in the industry for decades. Create film projects with your professors and peers alike in an environment that lets you apply your collegiate knowledge instantly.
Join us as we train the next generation of storytellers passionate about using cinematic storytelling to share life-changing messages with the world today. There’s a place for you here at Liberty!
Why Choose Liberty’s Bachelor’s Degree in Film Production and Content Development?
The film and television industry is extremely competitive, but don’t be discouraged! Get a leg up on the competition with a bachelor’s degree from our reputable, nonprofit, Christian university. With our industry connections, experiential learning style, and an array of state-of-the-art equipment, you can make a name for yourself in the world of film and television production.
Build Your Professional Portfolio
Our cinematic arts program allows you to work under industry professionals and create a strong network with peers and professors alike. You’ll also walk away with a short film you wrote and directed, a polished feature-length screenplay, a business plan for the screenplay, certifications (Avid, Adobe, and DaVinci), and a demo reel of all your work created during your time at Liberty.
Develop Your Skills Using State-of-the-Art Equipment
We’ll help you build your portfolio using state-of-the-art, theatrical-grade equipment and facilities that include:
- RED Helium, RED Epic Dragon, and RED Prime Lenses
- Mixing and 4K coloring edit suites
- Audio-Technical Microphones and DeSisti Lights
- Two large editing labs and a THX-certified 7.1 dubbing stage
- ADR booths and classrooms equipped with 7.1 surround
- To see a full list of available equipment, check out our Zaki Gordon Cinematic Arts Center!
What Will You Learn in Our B.S. in Film Production and Content Development?
Our bachelor’s in film production and content development degree provides training in film industry standards through hands-on experience with industry-standard equipment, world-class facilities, and professors who are experts in the field.
Through the program, you will develop your knowledge and practice in:
- Branding and entrepreneurship
- Cinematography, sound design, directing, and editing
- Legal practices in cinema
- Marketing and persuasion tactics
- Narrative and documentary styles
View the Degree Completion Plan, and check out our featured courses below to learn more about what you’ll be studying!
CINE 201 – Introduction to Screenwriting
- This is a methods course intended to provide instruction in the fundamentals of screenwriting.
- Basic three-act structure, writing techniques, character development, and screenwriting software will be covered.
- This class may be used as part of the required core curriculum needed for students to apply and enter into the residential Center for Cinematic Arts cohort their junior year.
CINE 302 – Story Analysis
- An intensive study of film theory, focusing both on international cinema and classic Hollywood Films, with emphasis on analysis and application.
- Topics covered include story structure, montage, and the development of visual and narrative techniques.
CINE 303 – Producing and Directing
A practical study of the various theories and methodologies of cinema direction and producing using application, classroom examination and exercises.
CINE 402 – Feature Production
Through the production of a long-format film, students working on a class project will be immersed in the understanding of leading and crewing narratives and documentaries, as these films incorporate increasingly advanced technical demands and sophisticated production.
Highlights of Our Film Production and Content Development Degree
Here are some of the benefits of pursuing Liberty’s Bachelor of Science in Film Production and Content Development degree:
- You will participate in a large-format production with working professionals. Some of our productions have earned awards, and our program is the first, at any university, to produce a student-driven movie with a national theatrical release!
- You will study all aspects and positions of filmmaking, including legal and business affairs. Well-rounded training will ensure an attractive resume and opportunities for career success.
- Each student from our B.S. in Film Production and Content Development program graduates with their own film created in a theatrical 4K workflow using RED Weapon cameras and an up to 5.1 surround sound mix.
- Additionally, you can pursue certification in Avid, Adobe, and DaVinci products.
- Liberty’s film production graduates have worked on blockbuster movies like Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Black Panther, and Avengers: Infinity War. Graduates have also used their skills in other job sectors such as education and government, and some have started their own businesses!
Film Production and Content Development Bachelor’s Degree Information
- 120 total credit hours
- Transfer in up to 50% of your major-specific credits and 75% of your total degree
- Students must pass a portfolio gate to continue on in the program after enrolling.
- This program falls under Liberty’s School of Visual and Performing Arts.
- View the Degree Completion Plan.
- Check out our course catalog!
Career Opportunities for Film Production and Content Development Graduates
Liberty University’s Bachelor of Science in Film Production and Content Development will help prepare you for the following occupations:
- Church media creator
- Content developer
- Corporate media
- Creator director
- Marketing manager
- Multimedia artist
- Promotion manager
- Sound effects editor
- Sound mixer
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Degrees
Every application is reviewed by the admission committee on a case-by-case basis, meaning there are no set minimums for acceptance. However, all applicants must submit the following documents* for admission:
- Admission application
- Official high school transcripts
- Official college transcripts (if applicable)
- SAT, ACT, or CLT scores
- Admission essay
*Note that additional documentation may be requested by the admission committee after your application has been received.