Master of Divinity (M.Div.) – General
Prepare for Full-Time Ministry with a Master of Divinity (M.Div.)
Do you want to dig deep into biblical and theological studies so that you can bring life-changing messages to your congregation? Do you want to reach others for Christ in other ministry settings? Liberty’s online seminary, the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity, provides high-quality Christian master’s degrees that will help you further your ministry with in-depth studies of God’s Word. Whether you are already a full-time ministry professional or are preparing to enter ministry for the first time, Liberty’s online Master of Divinity (M.Div.) degree program will give you a flexible and affordable 100% online path to the skills and knowledge you need.
As a pioneer in distance learning since 1985 and a Christian university ranked in the top 1% of 2,100 online colleges, Liberty combines academic excellence with a biblical worldview. Even if you have an unrelated bachelor’s degree, Liberty’s master’s degree in divinity online program will give you the varied and in-depth background in biblical and theological studies paired with practical, in-demand ministry skills that will equip you for full-time ministry, ministry leadership, and specialized chaplaincy roles.
If you plan to pursue doctoral studies, the online M.Div. degree will prepare you to reach the pinnacle of Christian scholarship and teach at the college level. With the flexibility of the online format and the affordability of the online seminary block rate, the online M.Div. degree program gains the benefits of Liberty University’s full accreditation while still allowing you to complete your Master of Divinity courses 100% online.
What Will You Learn in Our Master of Divinity Online Degree?
Liberty University’s Master of Divinity program is 100% online with optional on-campus intensives and has many specialized areas of study to ensure that student’s field-specific needs are met. The core of the online M.Div. program delivers foundational content studies in ministry writing and research, Old and New Testament studies, apologetics, evangelism, and discipleship ministries.
To enhance understanding and allow for better instruction, the Master of Divinity trains students in the use of common language tools for word studies and in-depth research. Students can also dive into the original Greek and Hebrew texts with language courses. Students pursuing the M.Div. online degree can choose areas of study that reflect their specific ministry needs and will have flexibility in their degree plans to ensure they have a well-rounded education.
Potential Career Options for Graduates of the M.Div. Online Degree
- Military or Civilian Chaplain
- Senior Pastor
- Instructional Supervisor
Benefits of Our M.Div. Online Program
As a leader in distance education since 1985, we understand what it takes to create a flexible and affordable education for busy people. Since we have been investing in distance and online learning for decades, our experience has taught us how to streamline our degree options so you can focus on what really matters to you. While many schools offer online degrees, we believe Liberty stands out.
Here’s what sets us apart:
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online Master of Divinity degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- By earning your M.Div. degree online from an accredited, nonprofit university whose online programs are ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you can be confident your degree will be well respected within your field.
- Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity has been accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree has been approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards. So you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 5 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- With Liberty University’s online 8-week format and three semesters per year, you can complete the online M.Div. Degree in as little as 2 years.
- To further help ministry professions pursue a flexible and affordable online degree, the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity’s online M.Div. degree has a discounted seminary block rate for tuition.
Service is important to us, so whether you’re currently serving in the Armed Forces, have served, or are married to someone who serves, we’re here to serve you. Liberty’s military benefits are available to:
- Active duty service members of the U.S. Armed Forces
- Reserve/National Guard
- Spouses of service members and veterans/retirees
- Current Department of Defense employees
We are proud to support you in your pursuit of a flexible and affordable online education degree by offering you the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Discounted Divinity Block Rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours!*
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year and no set login times.
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the online master’s degree in Divinity are charged at the part-time rate.
100% online, 8-week courses
Transfer in up to 50% of the degree total
Next Start Date
Aug 24, 2020
ATS Commission on Accrediting
Experience That Matters to You
As an accredited Christian college with a 7,000-acre campus in Lynchburg, Virginia, Liberty University offers you an education that is both academically challenging and rooted in a biblical worldview.
At Liberty, you’ll benefit from 30+ years of learning, growing, adapting, and innovating for the distance learner — and more than a decade of researching the needs of the online student. You can be confident that we’ve taken the time to learn what’s important to you.
And what’s that?
- Academic Quality
These important factors challenged us to find new financial solutions, get ahead of industry trends, and blaze trails into cutting-edge career fields — and it’s paid off. That’s the difference experience makes.
We’re now ranked in the top 1% of online schools and universities for affordability, accessibility, and academic quality.
– by BestColleges.com
Why Choose Liberty University?
Enjoy Flexible Courses
Choose from a wide variety of programs at the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level, most of which are 100% online*. With an 8-week format and 8 start dates per year, it’s easy to fit your courses around your schedule!
* excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
Maximize Your Time
Start and finish your degree faster! Liberty requires no standardized testing for admission, and you can transfer previous course credit — transfer in up to 75% of a bachelor’s degree and up to 50% of a master’s degree — or discover how your life, career, or military experience may count toward your college degree.
Grow in Your Faith
All of our courses are taught from a Christian perspective and our faculty sees themselves as mentors. Our mission is to Train Champions for Christ — we’re committed to championing you as you study to go further in your field, become a leader in your industry, or start a new career.
Access Academic Support
Throughout your educational journey you will have access to academic resources that will aid in the completion of your degree. Services include our online library, writing center, tutoring, study aids, IT assistance, 30+ tutorial videos, live webinars, and personalized help from our academic advising team.
At Liberty, we believe in putting a world-class Christian education within reach — so our tuition rates have been frozen for 5 years… and counting!
As a nonprofit (not-for-profit) university, Liberty is in the business of training skilled professionals to make a difference in the world – not gaining profit, revenue, or producing dividends for shareholders. In keeping with our commitment to your education, we invest our resources back into degree programs and into your student experience.
While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university and has not increased tuition in 5 straight years. Lower tuition means less student loan debt for students.
For Liberty University, nonprofit is more than a status; it is the valuable opportunity to invest in the lives of students who will go out and impact the world.
87% of all Liberty students in an online program are awarded financial aid. Virginia residents may qualify for additional aid — learn more!
Corporate Tuition Assistance
Deferred – If your company reimburses you for the cost of your education, you submit your grades to your employer who pays you, and then you pay for your classes.
Qualified military service members, veterans, and their spouses can receive up to 55% off their tuition rate for eligible programs!
Contact one of our Admissions Counselors for more information by calling (800) 424-9595.