Post-BSN Doctor of Nursing Practice – Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Admission Requirements
At this time, our DNP in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner degree is limited in certain states. Please view the licensure/certification requirements for your state. International students can contact the School of Nursing related to their degree interest.
In support of students and in compliance with the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) requirements, Liberty University School of Nursing DNP and APRN Certificate programs work with students to provide precepted practicum placements. During this time of COVID 19, many hospitals and clinics have closed their sites to nurse practitioner and DNP students. This may lead to sites being unavailable to students for a time. This inability to place students in practicum sites may delay enrollment in practicum courses and ultimately graduation.
Enrollment in one of Liberty University’s licensure programs does not guarantee a degree from Liberty or qualification for licensure. Students are responsible for meeting all academic and professional requirements for graduation. More information about academic and professional requirements can be found below. Students enrolled in a licensure program are responsible for knowing the material outlined for their program. Further, it is the sole responsibility of the student, not Liberty University, to obtain information regarding prerequisites for licensure as outlined by their particular state Board of Nursing.
Licensure requirements for any state are subject to change without notice. Liberty University is not responsible for knowing when changes occur. Additionally, there might be other states with unique licensure requirements. Please reference our State Requirements for NP and APRN Licensure page for further information.
- Apply online or call an admissions counselor at (800) 424-9596.
- A nonrefundable, nontransferable $50 application fee will be posted on the current application upon enrollment (waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required).
- Mail official college transcripts (sealed, unopened copies or via a direct electronic transcript system). Transcripts must be regionally or nationally accredited, show all postsecondary schools, and must show either a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) or a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN). This bachelor’s or master’s degree must have a 3.0 GPA or higher and be accredited by either the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- Admission to this program requires the following additional items to be submitted:
- Current and Active RN License Issued in an Approved State. (If a past sanction or disciplinary action exists on a professional license, the applicant may be contacted by the Nursing Admissions Review Committee for further explanation.)
- Documentation of Active APRN License and Active National Certification for Nurse Practitioner (if applicable). Note: APRN licensure is not required for the DNP-PMHNP program; however, if an applicant is currently licensed in another advanced practice nursing specialty (i.e., Clinical Nurse Specialist), applicants must submit an APRN license and certification.
- Clinical Education Prerequisites: Must have bachelor’s-level courses in statistics, research methods, and health assessment.
- Consent to contact recent employers to verify 1 year of professional nursing experience. This form is part of the CV template.
- Curriculum Vitae
- American Heart Association BLS CPR Card for Healthcare Providers with AED
- 1 Academic, 1 Professional, and 1 Personal Reference: Your references should be able to speak to your work ethic and academic abilities. They should also be able to be reached via phone or email.
- Statement of Purpose/Writing Sample
Applicants whose native language is other than English must submit official scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or an approved alternative assessment. For information on alternative assessments or TOEFL waivers, please call Admissions or view the official International Admissions policy.
If you are sending in a preliminary transcript for acceptance, you must:
- Be in your final term and planning to start your doctoral degree after the last day of class for your BSN or master’s degree.
- Submit a transcript to confirm that you are in your final term.
- Send in an additional, final, official transcript with a conferral date on it by the end of your first semester of enrollment.
Supplemental Acceptance Steps
After reviewing applications, the School of Nursing will contact selected applicants for an interview. Please note that not all applicants will be requested to interview with the School of Nursing. Interviews can be conducted remotely as needed. If an acceptance offer is extended to an applicant, there will be additional application steps needed before attending courses.
Included in these steps is the purchase of a standardized background check and submission of immunization records. More information will be provided to selected applicants.
Official College Transcript Policy
An acceptable official college transcript must be issued directly from the institution in a sealed envelope with a signature across the back. If you have one in your possession, it must meet the same requirements.
CCNE Accreditation for the Doctor of Nursing Practice Degree
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing, master’s degree program in nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice program, and the postgraduate APRN certificate program at Liberty University School of Nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
Liberty University is approved by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, bachelor’s, master’s, specialist, and doctoral degrees. The Online Nursing Program (Doctor of Nursing Practice) is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and is approved by the Virginia State Board of Nursing.
For questions about the accreditation of Liberty University, please contact:
Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Ln.
Decatur, GA 30033-4097
Inquiries about the institution itself, such as admission requirements, financial aid, educational programs, etc., should be addressed directly to Liberty University.