Join the Fight for Justice with a Paralegal Degree Online from Liberty
You cherish freedom and justice. You recognize the supreme role of our legal system in guarding these values through the law. You want to use your career to come alongside those fighting for justice in the legal realm and make a difference. With Liberty’s Bachelor of Science in Paralegal Studies online, you can put your career in the legal world on fast-forward and help uphold the law now.
Pursue your bachelor’s in paralegal studies with Liberty and make your ambitions of serving justice through law a reality!
How do you become a paralegal with a bachelor’s degree?
While some law firms only require an associate’s degree or a certification to become a paralegal, a bachelor’s in paralegal studies will give you a deeper understanding of the inner workings of the legal world, setting you apart from other applicants.
A paralegal bachelor’s degree can also set you up for exciting supervisory positions as a paralegal or even prepare you for law school and other graduate programs. With these benefits, pursuing a bachelor’s in paralegal studies will give you an edge as a paralegal and prepare you for rapid growth in your career.
What is paralegal studies?
Paralegals partner with attorneys, completing essential tasks so that the lawyer can better perform his or her job.
As a paralegal, you will perform legal research, such as reviewing the details of a case and examining laws and articles; prepare and write reports and legal documents; organize these documents in filing systems; meet with clients; and much more.
Without paralegals, attorneys could not fulfill their duties and effectively defend the law.
What is the current job outlook for paralegals?
The need for competent, driven paralegals in the legal landscape today is growing. In fact, from 2018 to 2028, the paralegal profession is projected to grow 12%, much faster than the national average of all professions.*
Paralegals are also well-compensated for their efforts, especially given the educational level required for this career. On average a paralegal makes $50,940 per year with room for growth especially in supervisory positions, which is higher than the national average.*
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Paralegal Studies Degree?
You want more than a career — you want to make an impact. With our degree in paralegal studies, you can gain the knowledge and training you need to make a difference as a Champion for Christ in your field!
Our paralegal degree online is an industry leader in online legal programs. As a student with us, you will gain practical skills critical to your work as a paralegal while also learning the principles underlying our government and specific knowledge of various realms of law today. Additionally, you will study under expert faculty who have experience as private practice partners, lawyers and attorneys, certified public accountants, certified mediators, and just about every specialty the field of paralegal studies touches in a legal and administrative setting.
Our Christian faith sets us apart from other schools, and in our paralegal degree program, you will understand the biblical foundations of our legal system and how to handle ethical concerns that will arise in your career in a manner consistent with a Christian worldview.
Designed to be completed in an average of 3.5 years, our paralegal studies degree will allow you to continue to work while going to college. Because our paralegal bachelor’s degree is offered completely online, you can remain active in your job, with your family, and in your community without the worry of having to take courses on campus. Our strong academic foundation combined with our flexible online format and focus on faith will empower you to make a difference through paralegal studies.
What Will You Learn While Pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Paralegal Studies Online?
Our paralegal degree focuses on interrogating the presuppositions and foundational ideas underlying our legal system and on developing practical skills crucial to your future as a paralegal. With this combination, you will be well-prepared both to understand the legal field and to perform your duties with passion and excellence.
You will begin your online paralegal degree learning philosophical foundations and methodologies designed to improve your understanding of today’s basic law practices. As you work through your paralegal degree online, you will gain knowledge of criminal law and procedure, which is a vital aspect of paralegal careers.
In our paralegal degree, you will:
- Be introduced to the court system, case law, statutes, and legal research methods
- Be introduced to the theories, doctrines, and practice of family law
- Delve into the general principles, sources, and purpose of criminal law
- Examine agency, partnership, and corporation concepts
- Examine the limitations imposed on law enforcement activities
- Gain hands-on experience using current legal research methods.
- Learn proper legal writing methods and techniques
- Study the rules and principles governing the process by which courts rule
With these skills and knowledge under your belt, you will be equipped to partner with attorneys to help them serve their clients and contribute to the pursuit of justice in the American legal system.
- GOVT 200 – Constitutional Government and Free Enterprise
- PLST 205 – Foundations of Law
- PLST 230 – Criminal Practice and Procedures
- PLST 340 – Family Law
Highlights of Our Paralegal Degree Online Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 5 online schools in America. Earning your online paralegal degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years — and counting.
To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You will have access to networking opportunities with other professionals in the program from around the country.
Paralegal Degree Online Program Information
- This program falls under the School of Law.
- View the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Paralegal Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Bachelor’s in Paralegal Studies
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- Potential college credit for military training
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Options with a Bachelor’s Degree in Paralegal Studies
If you are looking for a clear direction towards a specific career, a paralegal bachelor’s degree is for you. Paralegal studies also provide you with enough flexibility to choose between several different potential roles, including:
- Claims adjuster
- Law clerk
- Legal assistant
An online legal studies degree, such as our paralegal degree, can also serve as a launching pad for law school or other graduate programs relating to the field of law. Whatever you decide, a bachelor’s in paralegal studies will prepare you well for your chosen career path.
Admission Requirements for Online Undergraduate Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Paralegals and legal assistants, 2019 (viewed online September 30, 2019). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.