Prepare for a Rewarding Career by Earning Your Online Paralegal Degree at Liberty
By pursuing Liberty’s online Associate of Arts (AA) in Paralegal Studies, you will be immersed in a curriculum that covers political and economic ideas, government institutions, and free-market processes. If you’re a working professional, you can transform your career by being educated or trained in paralegal studies, without having to attend courses on a residential campus. Our faculty have years of experience as private practice partners, lawyers and attorneys, certified public accountants, certified mediators, and nearly every specialty the field of paralegal studies touches.
What is paralegal studies?
Paralegals assist attorneys with the legal process in law firms and law offices. From helping to manage interviews to filing important legal documents, paralegals are the glue that binds the courtroom together. If you are looking for paralegal training online that can help you pursue this rewarding career field, our paralegal program online is a great choice!
This online paralegal degree program is designed to equip aspiring paralegals with the skills they need to succeed professionally, personally, and spiritually. Paralegals are typically employed by lawyers to perform legal work – and therefore, are a vital part of the legal process. They are also responsible for the significant amount of preparation that goes into court visits. Lawyers and paralegals will often have many overlapping responsibilities. In our online associate degree in paralegal studies, you’ll be taught fundamental legal skills that you can use to be a successful and respected paralegal who works closely with attorneys.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Associate Degree in Paralegal Studies?
Liberty’s online paralegal courses are taught by professors with real-world experience in professional and legal settings. Our instructors are dedicated to helping you use your career to positively influence the lives of those you come into contact with. Our associate in paralegal studies degree is offered 100% online, allowing you to remain active in your job, with your family, and in your community.
Because Liberty University is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), you can be confident that you’re earning your paralegal associate degree online from a school that is well-respected and recognized among employers and institutions of higher education.
In Liberty’s paralegal studies associate’s degree, you can become well-prepared for careers in various legal fields with your online paralegal degree. You will be immersed in case studies and experiential learning as you dive into a study of various legal settings. Our online paralegal degree consists of courses offered in a convenient 8-week online format, so you can pursue your passion for the law with the flexibility you need to continue honoring your current responsibilities.
If you are researching degrees in paralegal studies online, you may have questions about how this program can help you reach your goals. Below are some common questions about the paralegal school at Liberty University.
What degree do you need to be a paralegal?
With special legal studies skills and knowledge to function as a paralegal, you need a specific degree to succeed in this career. Many available paralegal roles will require at least an AA degree in paralegal studies, while other legal studies degrees may meet these requirements with additional training or experience. The best way to signal to potential employers that you are ready to hit the ground running in a paralegal role is to show them that you have a paralegal studies degree.
How much do paralegals make with an associate’s degree?
While many fields need a bachelor’s degree to get started, paralegal assistants can start their career in less time. Earning an associate degree in paralegal studies can help you get started in your career because, unlike with many fields, you may have considerable earning potential with just an associate degree.
The BLS estimates that paralegals earned a median salary of $56,230 in 2021. Demand for paralegals is also expected to grow at a rate of 12% by 2030 — which much faster than the national average.* Our associate in paralegal studies degree can help prepare you for work as a paralegal.
How long is a paralegal degree?
You can complete your AA in Paralegal Studies program in as little as 1.5 years. If you decide to continue on to a bachelor’s degree, you may be able to transfer in your associate credit and finish your bachelors in another 2 years. In either case, you will be able to work in the field while you complete your degree programs.
Should I earn a Bachelor of Science in Paralegal Studies after a paralegal AA degree?
Liberty’s Associate of Arts in Paralegal Studies is designed to give you the skills and knowledge you need to start your career as a paralegal. However, you may find more opportunities and chances to advance in your career if you earn a bachelors degree.
With a BS in Paralegal Studies, you will have the advanced training in documentation and legal processes you need for your career. The good news is that you can transfer in all of the courses from your AA in Paralegal Studies, so you can complete your BS in just 2 years if you complete your associate degree first.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Occupational Outlook Handbook: Paralegals and Legal Assistants (viewed online June 28, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What Will You Learn in Our Associate Paralegal Studies Online Degree?
You will begin your online paralegal degree by studying philosophical foundations and methodologies designed to improve your understanding of basic law practices in today’s world. As you work through our online paralegal program, you can gain knowledge of criminal law and procedure, a vital aspect of paralegal programs.
You will also be taught the fundamentals of law, how to perform title searches, the process for writing depositions, and aspects of real estate transactions. In addition, our paralegal studies online degree can help you hone your knowledge of legal research and writing. Our online courses have been designed with your success in mind – and by choosing Liberty, you choose a school dedicated to your personal and professional development.
Program Highlights for the AA in Paralegal Studies
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online AA in Paralegal Studies degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You will benefit from networking opportunities with other professionals from around the country in our online paralegal degree.
- Credits from this degree can transfer into our bachelor’s degree in paralegal studies.
Associate Degree in Paralegal Studies Degree Information
- Our online Associate of Arts in Paralegal Studies falls under the School of Law.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Government Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts — $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
Potential Careers for Graduates of the Online Paralegal Associate Degree
- Government worker
- Legal assistant
- Legal secretary
Admission Requirements for Online Undergraduate Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.