Troops to Teachers Program
Troops to Teachers (TTT) is a program run by the Department of Defense (DoD) and the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Educational Support (DANTES), whose objective is to recruit military personnel who would like to become a teacher to serve low-income families in the US in high-need subject areas. This program also assists service members with finding civilian employment and adjust to civilian life after discharge from the military.
What does TTT provide?
- Job placement services
- Financial assistance and stipends up to $5,000*
- Bonus incentives up to $10,000 for teaching in a high-need district
- Mentoring and career counseling
*NOTE: The stipend may be used to pay for any approved teacher licensure program in any state-accredited college. The stipend may not be used for training principals, guidance counselors, or private-school teachers. Participants hired to teach in a setting where 50% or more of the students are on free or reduced lunches or their Individual Disability Education Act (IDEA) percentage meets the criteria specified by the Department of Education are eligible for a $10,000 bonus. Acceptance of any monies obligates the Troops to Teachers participant to teach for three years in a poverty-level school.
Military Status Requirements:
- An individual is eligible to participate in the program only if the last period of service was honorable.
- Elementary or Secondary Education: Baccalaureate or advanced degree from an accredited institution at the time of application.
- Vocational/Technical Education: Associates degree (or minimum of one year of college) and six years of work experience in a vocational or technical field. Eligible for vocational referral and, if applicable, vocational certification expenses only.
- Recipients must agree to teach for three years. Reserve personnel must also commit to continue their reserve service for an additional three years or agree to continue reserve service until eligibile for retirement, whichever is less.
Learn more by visiting the Virginia TTT website. You may also go to the national DANTES Troops to Teachers website for more information.
This webpage has moved. Please visit this information on our new website.