Advance Your Abilities to Support Your Community by Earning a Master of Divinity in Community Chaplaincy at Liberty University
Liberty University’s online Master of Divinity in Community Chaplaincy program is designed for people like you who wish to meet the spiritual needs of a community or grow a ministry. While the term “chaplain” does not refer to a specific type of faith or denomination, our Master of Divinity in Community Chaplaincy will provide a biblical framework from a Judeo-Christian worldview.
Our online M.Div. program in community chaplaincy will prepare you to enter a variety of corporate settings to provide support and promote emotional wellness. Since the world is imperfect, there will always be a need for Christ in the community. Our Master of Divinity in Community Chaplaincy online degree program provides superior career preparation, training you to minister to the hurting and faithfully steward the gospel.
Students who have graduated with a Master of Arts in Religion (MAR) degree may transfer all 60 hours, as applicable, into the M.Div. in Community Chaplaincy online degree program. The M.Div. in Community Chaplaincy degree will be conferred upon completion of all course requirements for both degrees.
Liberty University’s Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards. So you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Master of Divinity in Community Chaplaincy Online Program?
The Master of Divinity in Community Chaplaincy online degree program is designed to help men and women prepare to become community chaplains for private organizations, local churches, and parachurch settings. Liberty University’s M.Div. in Community Chaplaincy program seeks to provide you with superior education and teaching. Our seasoned professors will be able to provide you with further insight into the field of community chaplaincy and can provide personal knowledge of content that extends past any textbook curriculum.
If you are pursuing a community chaplaincy degree to become a military chaplain, we encourage you to discuss the process of becoming a chaplain with your chaplain recruiter to determine what needs to be accomplished to become a chaplain candidate. Please note that chaplains must be endorsed by a religious body that is recognized by the Department of Defense (DoD). Liberty Baptist Fellowship is such a religious body that is recognized by the DoD and can endorse students.
Any student who is interested in entering the field of community chaplaincy, whether it is in a hospital, community, or the military, may apply for endorsement through the Liberty Baptist Fellowship with the assistance of our Academic Advisors.
What Will You Learn in the Master of Divinity in Community Chaplaincy Degree?
Our Master of Divinity in Community Chaplaincy online degree program is designed to help ministry students get equipped for professional Christian community chaplaincy ministry in secular, pluralistic settings such as the workplace, campus, sports, and first responder venues. In our M.Div. in Community Chaplaincy, we focus on setting foundations in exploring truth-claims of major world religions and the uniqueness of Christian theistic apologetics. Upon this foundation, advanced hermeneutics on biblical interpretations and an examination of the current status of various interpretive approaches to scripture will be applied.
Equipped with this, students will delve into the professional and spiritual formation of chaplain counseling and chaplain ministries as well as ethics for advisement and pastoral care. To intertwine their knowledge of the various components of community chaplaincy with practical hands-on experience, students will complete an internship.
Liberty University’s online Master of Divinity in Community Chaplaincy offers a thesis track, geared for students who plan to pursue a doctoral degree. The Doctor of Ministry is the recommended path for chaplaincy students interested in doctoral studies. Students not interested in a doctoral degree can pursue our non-thesis track.
Community Chaplaincy Featured Courses
- CHPL 598 – Spiritual and Professional Development of the Chaplain
- CHPL 615 – Chaplain Ethics
- CHPL 645 – Chaplain Resilient Leaders
- CHPL 655 – Chaplain Evangelism and Discipleship
Master of Divinity in Community Chaplaincy Degree Information
- This program falls under the Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the thesis or non-thesis Degree Completion Plans for this program.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Highlights of Our M.Div. in Community Chaplaincy Program
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online M.Div. in Community Chaplaincy degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for our M.Div. in Community Chaplaincy has not increased in 4 straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete our online Master of Divinity in Community Chaplaincy degree program in under 4 years.
Online M.Div. Degree Program Military Benefits
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Discounted Divinity Block Rate: $2,475 per semester – only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the online Master of Divinity are charged at the part-time rate.
Potential Community Chaplaincy Career Options
Upon completion of your Master of Divinity in Community Chaplaincy online degree, you will have the option to pursue these careers:
- Corporate chaplain
- Human resources manager
- Instructional supervisor
- Military chaplain
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 GPA or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Pastoral recommendation
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.