Translational Research in Health Care – NURS 836
CG • Section 8WK • 11/08/2019 to 04/16/2020 • Modified 07/28/2020
This course is designed to support an understanding of concepts in knowledge translation (KT), methods, and models for evaluation of research, and findings to translate knowledge into best practice protocols. A translational model is used to support knowledge translation from scholarly evidence that will influence outcomes. The steps in the research process are examined to support a comprehensive plan in preparation for the scholarly project. The content includes the development of a research question, identifying an appropriate sample, identifying appropriate strategies for data collection and analysis, and emphasizing the importance of the protection of human subjects. The course provides the students with a foundation for developing a scholarly proposal.
NURS 715 and NURS 716 and NURS 718 and NURS 832
Dissemination and implementation research is an evolving science. Historically, the translation of evidence from the bench to the bedside has been a long and tedious process. The changes in the healthcare environment in the 21st century will not support lengthy timeframes that result in consumers waiting inordinate periods of time to benefit from new knowledge and innovation. Nurses prepared at the doctoral level need to be experienced in the dissemination and implementation of findings into the clinical setting. This course will build and enhance the knowledge and skills required to meet that end.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Examine dissemination and implementation research as an emerging field (PLO 1, DNP Essentials I, NONPF (2017) Scientific Foundation Competencies 1, 2, 3, 4).
- Distinguish the influences that promote and challenge the translation of research into practice such as organizational values, policies, and government regulations (PLO 3, DNP Essentials II, NONPF (2017) Scientific Foundation Competencies 3, 4).
- Contrast various models, frameworks, and approaches that support the translation of research into practice (PLO 1, DNP Essentials III, IV, NONPF (2017) Scientific Foundation Competencies 1, 2).
- Analyze issues surrounding outcomes measurement and evaluation as they pertain to translational research (PLO 1, DNP Essentials II, NONPF (2017) Quality Competencies 1, 3).
- Propose strategies for advanced practice nurses to influence the healthcare environment at the individual, organizational, and population levels from a Christian worldview (PLO 2, 7, DNP Essentials II, NONPF (2017) Leadership Competencies 1, 2, 3).
Textbook readings and presentations
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Course Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in Module/Week 1.
Discussion Board Forums (2)
Discussion boards are collaborative learning experiences. Therefore, the student will create a thread in response to the provided prompt for each forum. Each thread will be graded on the depth and breadth of discussion and must include at least 2 peer-reviewed references in addition to the textbook. In addition to the thread, the student will reply to the threads of at least 2 classmates. Each reply must be robust and make substantial contributions to the overall discussion. Each reply must also include at least 2 references—one may be the textbook, but the other must be peer-reviewed. Any questions to classmates must be submitted with sufficient time for them to respond.
Assignment 1:Evaluate models, frameworks, and theories that support translation of evidence into practice. This assignment must include a title and reference page, and provide a minimum of 3–4 sources in current APA format.Assignment 2:Develop a clinical question, develop a literature matrix, and Scholarly Project Pre-approval form. This assignment must include a title and reference page, and provide a minimum of 10 sources in current APA format.Assignment 3:Distinguish organizational considerations influencing translation of evidence. This assignment must contain 3–4 pages, include a title and reference page, and provide a minimum of 3–5 sources in current APA format.Assignment 4:Identify methods of translating evidence into practice. This assignment must include a title and reference page, and provide a minimum of 3–5 sources in current APA format.Assignment 5:Develop documents for planning the translation of evidence into practice. This assignment must include a title and reference page.Assignment 6:Appraise infrastructure for readiness of an organization for translating evidence. This assignment must include a title and reference page.