Transition to the Nurse Educator Role – NURS 767
CG • Section 8WK • 11/08/2019 to 04/16/2020 • Modified 07/28/2020
In this precepted practicum, students will engage in the development and deliverance of classroom, laboratory, and clinical teaching assignments in nursing. Students will integrate philosophical foundations, educational theory, and nursing knowledge to promote active learning.
This course will prepare the graduate nurse for a role in nursing education. This course will discuss transition to the role of nurse educator. This course will also cover essential concepts necessary for effective teaching either in the academic setting or as an educator in the healthcare setting.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the role of the nurse educator. (DNP PLO 1, NLN Competency 5 and 6)
- Differentiate between the eight Nurse Educator Competencies from the National League for Nursing. (DNP PLO 1, NLN Competency 1–8)
- Apply a variety of teaching methods to the classroom, laboratory, clinical, and online environments. (DNP PLO 2 and 6, NLN Competency 1 and 2)
- Discuss the legal aspects in nursing education with regard to plagiarism, cheating, incivility, and fair evaluation of performance. (DNP PLO 6, NLN Competency 3 and 6)
- Discuss the various methods of scholarship in nursing education. (DNP PLO 3, NLN Competency 7)
- Analyze the nurse educator’s role in the community with clinical partnerships. (DNP PLO 5, NLN Competency 8)
- Value the role of a mentor for the new nurse educator as well as those who transition from expert clinician to novice educator. (DNP PLO 1, NLN Competency 6)
- Apply a Christian worldview in all facets of the nurse educator role. (DNP PLO 7, NLN Competency 5)
Textbook readings and presentations
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Course Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in Module/Week 1.
Discussion Board Forums (7)
Discussion boards are collaborative learning experiences. Therefore, the student is required to create a thread in response to the provided prompt for each forum. Each thread will be graded on the depth and breadth of discussion. In addition to the thread, the student is required to reply to 2 other classmates’ threads. Each reply must be robust and make substantial contributions to the overall discussion. Any supporting sources must be cited in current APA format.
Written Assignments (5)
The student will complete 5 written assignments. Each assignment must be approximately 5 pages (not including the title and reference pages) and must be in current APA format. Each assignment must include a sufficient number of resources to be able to answer the questions posed.
Clinical Faculty Role Development Paper
The student will write a 7‒10-page (excluding the title page and reference page) research-based paper in current APA format that focuses on the faculty’s role in the clinical setting. The paper must include at least 5 references in addition to the course textbooks and the Bible.