Advanced Evaluation Strategies for Nurse Educators – NURS 766
CG • Section 8WK • 11/08/2019 to 04/16/2020 • Modified 07/28/2020
This course provides an overview of theories on educational measurement and evaluation. Methods of evaluating teaching effectiveness, student learning, and student performance are explored with emphasis on test construction and analysis.
NURS 764 and NURS 765
This course is designed to prepare the nurse educator with advanced assessment and evaluation strategies for use in education. The nurse educator will be equipped to write test items, analyze test items, and will be knowledgeable in special interests related to testing and other methods of evaluation.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the qualities of effective assessment procedures in nursing education. (DNP PLO 2; NLN 1, 4)
- Create a systematic plan for developing a test. (DNP PLO 1; NLN 3, 4)
- Discuss social, ethical, and legal considerations related to evaluation methods. (DNP PLO 6; NLN 3)
- Design a test that contains a variety of question formats which address all domains of learning. (DNP PLO 1; NLN 3)
- Analyze the results of a nursing test based on statistical methods. (DNP PLO 2; NLN 3)
- Develop a clinical evaluation tool that will assess student learning and performance in the clinical area. (DNP PLO 6; NLN 3)
- Appraise the value of the Christian worldview in evaluating nursing student performance. (DNP PLO 7; NLN 3)
Textbook readings and lecture presentations
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Course Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in Module/Week 1.
Discussion Board Forums (3)
Discussion boards are collaborative learning experiences. Therefore, the student is required to provide a thread in response to the provided topic for each forum. Each thread does not have a required word count. However, it will be graded on course-related knowledge, including depth and breadth of discussion. In addition to the thread, the student is required to reply to 2 other classmates’ threads. Graduate-level writing in current APA format (excluding the cover page) is expected. Two peer-reviewed journal articles must be referenced for each thread, and 1 different peer-reviewed journal article must be referenced for each reply.
Written Assignments (5)
The student will compose written assessments in current APA format that focus on learning objectives, item writing, appraising the item varieties, developing a rubric, and assessment of clinical learning.
Test Administration Paper
The student will write a 5–10-page research-based paper in current APA format that focuses on test administration, analysis, and review.
Personal Philosophy of Grading Paper
The student will write a 5–10-page research-based paper in current APA format that focuses on his/her personal philosophy of grading.
Clinical Evaluation Tool
The student will develop a clinical evaluation tool using the NCLEX and nursing process as cross-reference. It must be 1–2 pages in current APA format.
Each quiz will cover the Reading & Study material for the assigned modules/weeks. Each quiz will be open-book/open-notes, contain 15 multiple-choice questions, and have a 1-hour time limit.