Applications of Evidence-Based Care – NURS 716
CG • Section 8WK • 11/08/2019 to 04/16/2020 • Modified 07/28/2020
The course is designed to support advanced practice nurses in the translation of nursing research to the use of research that will impact nursing practice. This course will serve as a touchstone for exploring the concept of Evidence Based Care (EBC). Evidence-based practice models will be examined and contrasted. Students will have the opportunity to appraise current research in their practice interests which will support students in developing improved practice guidelines, design processes to examine and disseminate findings. The course emphasizes the evaluation of research in the discipline of nursing and its application to professional practice both at the individual, family and population levels. The assimilation of knowledge, comparison to established benchmarks and research outcomes serve as a foundation to plan and develop innovations that influence quality care across practice settings and disciplines.
NURS 715 and NURS 700
The Doctor of Nursing Practice student requires skills to analyze and evaluate empirical outcomes to prepare him/her to design evidence-based protocols and translate research into nursing practice. The student will apply theory and science to empower him/her to lead change, improve the delivery of health care, promote patient safety, and influence outcomes.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of evidence-based practice models and processes in initiating practice changes. (PLO: 1, DNP Essentials I, III, NONPF 2017: Scientific Foundation Competencies: 1,4).
- Compare scholarly literature that directs the development of policies, procedures, and protocols that serve as the foundation for quality care and disease prevention for individuals, families, and the population at large. (PLO: 1,2; DNP Essentials IV; NONPF 2017: Scientific Foundation Competencies 1,3).
- Critique the efficacy of evidence-based practice models for the purpose of supporting the process to change practice and improve the healthcare experience. (PLO: 1, 3; DNP Essentials VIII, NONPF 2017: Scientific Foundation Competencies: 1,3).
- Demonstrate how clinical expertise and leadership competencies will be developed through the integration of current evidence at the individual, family, and population levels. (PLO: 6, DNP Essentials: VIII, NONPF 2017: Quality Competencies 1,5, Practice Inquiry Competencies 1).
- Develop a mock evidence-based practice proposal utilizing the Iowa Model as a framework to guide the process. PLO: 1, DNP Essentials I, III, NONPF 2017, Scientific Foundation Competencies: 1).
- Integrate the biblical worldview into advanced nursing practice. (PLO: 7, DNP Essentials: VIII I; Scientific Foundation, NONPF 2017 Leadership Competencies: 3).
Textbook readings and presentations
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Course Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in Module/Week 1.
Discussion Board Forums (4)
Discussion boards are collaborative learning experiences. Therefore, the student is required to create a thread in response to the provided prompt for each forum. Each thread will be evaluated based on the depth and breadth of the discussion. The student is also required to reply to the instructor and at least 2 classmates. Each reply must be supported by at least 2 citations.
Assignment 1: Developing a Clinical Question
The student will discuss the influence of Scripture on the imperative for utilizing current evidence to deliver safe and quality patient care.
In addition, the student will use the Iowa Model as a framework to identify a problem and develop a researchable PICO question based on a clinical scenario.
Assignment 2: Initiating the Literature Review
The student will access 10 peer-reviewed journals, no older than 3–5 years, that will address the PICO question developed in Assignment 1. The student will use the scenario provided to complete the assignment. The 10 peer-reviewed articles will be analyzed using a synthesis table to provide in-depth information about the articles including the levels of evidence. Implications for practice will be discussed as a part of the assignment.
Assignment 3: Evaluating Professional Practice Standards
The student will become familiar with the Appraisal of Guidelines for Research and Evaluation (AGREE) to evaluate professional practice standards. An external standard will be provided to the student to use for the assignment.
Assignment 4: Developing an Evidence-Based Practice Proposal Part 1
The student will develop part 1 of a mock evidence-based practice proposal. The project will continue to build on the PICO question and subsequent literature review that was initiated in Assignments 1 and 2 based on the scenario provided. The DNP Handbook Scholarly Project Guidelines will serve as the guide to format the mock proposal.
Assignment 5: Developing an Evidence-Based Practice Proposal Part 2
The student will complete part 2 of the evidence-based practice proposal per the DNP handbook.