Community Health Practicum II – NURS 632
CG • Section 8WK • 11/08/2019 to 04/16/2020 • Modified 07/28/2020
This practicum course is designed to build on practicum experiences from NURS 631 and expand the practicing RN’s engagement within the community setting by considering community concepts and addressing the social determinants of health; with the goal of promoting and preserving the health of populations. RN’s will apply knowledge and skills from nursing practice, nursing courses, and public health sciences to broaden their understanding of caring for a community's health.
To prepare graduate students for practice as a nurse within the community setting based on an understanding of the advanced practice role and application of principles and theoretical models relevant to population based nursing practice. This course is a continuation of NURS 631 where a foundation for advanced community practice was initiated.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Educate communities about available healthcare programs and services to improve access to care for vulnerable and at-risk populations.
- Establish effective collaborative relationships and partnerships within organizations and systems.
- Formlulate program goals and objectives based on a community diagnosis.
- Describe the community program planning process: defining, analyzing, choosing, and mapping.
- Focus program planning to expand upon a community diagnosis and narrow areas to be addressed in the program.
- Develop an evidence-based program plan that addresses a problem or situation that requires a solution through a structured intervention.
- Explore budget planning.
- Implement an evidence-based program plan.
- Monitor program implementation.
- Incorporate biblical worldview into community program planning.
Textbook readings and lecture presentations/notes
Discussion Board Forums (3)
The discussion board forums are designed to promote discussion among class participants and provide an environment to exchange ideas and comments based on the readings, assignments and personal/professional experiences. Each thread must be at least 500 words and demonstrate course-related knowledge. In addition to the thread, the student is required to reply to 2 other classmates’ threads. Each reply must be at least 250 words. Each thread and each reply must be supported with at least 2 citations in current APA format.
Community Program Plan
Students will continue to refine their community assessment as completed in NURS 631 and develop a community program plan based on that assessment. This plan will comprise of five assignment parts as shown below (further details are provided in the respective modules):
- Program Goals and Objectives (Module 2): The student will identify the priority community diagnosis from their community assessment in NURS 631 and develop three goals with three to five objectives. Goals and objectives are necessary to operationalize the priorities from your community assessment and to guide your program plan.
- Developing a Program Plan Outline (Module 4): The student will devise an outline in support of a proposed community program plan.
- Developing a Budget for Program Plans (Module 5): The student will discuss 3-5 funding sources for their program plan and discuss the role of the advanced practice public/community health nurse in securing funding.
- Program Implementation (Module 6): The student will develop a PowerPoint presentation that discusses each phase of program implementation as it relates to their program.
- Monitoring Program Implementation (Module 7): The student will describe the components of successful program implementation, reflect on their program plan and relate each component. The student will also discuss their role as an advanced practice public/ community health nurse and how they will enhance community involvement in and ownership of the planned program.
Students must complete the clinical portion of the class in order to pass the course. This includes written documentation of the clinical experience by completion of the required practicum hours (75 hours.)
As part of the requirements for all practicum courses, the MSN student is required to complete a portfolio that highlights components of his/her coursework, special projects, and practicum experiences. This portfolio is to be created using Typhon Portfolio and is available for the instructor’s review. This assignment will be be completed in three parts: Part 1 = NURS 631, Part 2 = NURS 632, and Part 3 = NURS 633. Students will complete portfolio outline sections II and III for NURS 632.
Community Program Plan Proposal PowerPoint
Students will submit a formal Community Program Plan, to showcase a culmination of their work in NURS 632. This proposal will be delivered via PowerPoint.