Advanced Pharmacology – NURS 504
CG • Section 8WK • 11/08/2019 to 04/16/2020 • Modified 11/10/2020
This course is designed to expand the advanced practice student’s knowledge of pharmacotherapeutics, which includes the cellular response level, for the management of individuals in the acute care and primary care setting. Broad categories of pharmacologic agents are examined. Skills to assess, diagnose, and manage a client’s common health problems in a safe, high quality, cost-effective manner are emphasized.
For information regarding prerequisites for this course, please refer to the Academic Course Catalog.
The rationale of the course is consistent with the goal statement of the Liberty University Masters of Science in Nursing Program, which is to prepare competent individuals as Advanced Practice Nurses.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe and explore the role of the advanced practice nurse in pharmacotherapy.
- Demonstrate understanding of basic pharmacotherapeutic principles.
- Differentiate the pharmacological actions of medications used to treat common disease entities.
- Evaluate drug regimens to recommend optimal and safe drug therapy.
- Design individualized, comprehensive pharmacotherapy plans (including non-pharmacological recommendations) and drug monitoring based on patient-specific conditions.
- Demonstrate a personal and professional Christian value system based on biblical and ethical principles regarding medication usage.
- Integrate a Christian worldview into initiation and development of advanced practice nursing role.
Textbook readings and presentations
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Course Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in Module/Week 1.
Ethics Essay Question
The student will select 1 of several provided current ethical issues, research that issue, and prepare a 1-page response written in current APA format. The written response must describe the ethical issue, cite 2 applicable biblical and ethical principles, and expound on the proper role or conduct of the Christian advanced nurse practitioner regarding the ethical issue.
Case Studies (6)
The instructor will place the student into 1 of 2 groups (Group A or Group B). Each group will work in a designated Discussion Board Forum to complete 6 Case Studies on a variety of topics.
Members of Group A will complete an individual analysis of the assigned Case Study in current APA format and will post his or her analysis on the designated Discussion Board Forum.
After the members of Group A post their analyses, the members of Group B will critically evaluate Group A’s analysis of the Case Study. Each Case Study Critique must be completed in current APA format and be posted in the Discussion Board Forum as a reply to Group A’s analysis.
Groups A and B will alternate weekly between completing the Case Study: Analyses and the Case Study: Critiques.
Health/Nursing Topic Questions (6)
Each student will post at least a 150-word response written in current APA format to a provided current health or nursing topic that is relevant to current Advanced Nursing Practice.
Disease State PowerPoint Presentation
The student will research and develop a PowerPoint presentation on 1 disease state. The disease state chosen must be one that is not covered in this course. This presentation must be created to educate colleagues on the chosen disease state.