Survey of the New Testament I – GBST 163
CG • Section 8WK • 11/08/2019 to 04/16/2020 • Modified 07/28/2020
A comprehensive survey of the New Testament books of Matthew through John.
The New Testament describes for us the earthly ministry of Jesus Christ and the institution of His church. This knowledge is foundational to all other Bible study and personal living.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Evaluate the content of the Gospels, including authorship, literary style, theological development, and the major themes of each book.
- Describe the historical, political, cultural, and religious background that set the stage for the ministry of Christ.
- Discuss the most important persons, places, and events recorded in the Gospels.
- Discuss the events of the life of Christ in chronological order.
- Explain the earthly ministry of Christ in redemptive terms.
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Course Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in Module/Week 1.
Discussion Board Forums (6)
Discussion boards are collaborative learning experiences. Therefore, the student will create a thread in response to the provided prompt for each forum. Each thread must be at least 400 words and demonstrate course-related knowledge. In addition to the thread, the student will reply to the threads of at least 2 classmates. Each reply must be at least 200 words.
(MLO: A, C, E)
Research Papers (2)
The student will write two papers. One will be on the historicity of the resurrection of Jesus, and another relating to one of Jesus’ parables. For each assignment, the student will write a paper of at least 5 pages. Each assignment must be written in current Turabian format and submitted through SafeAssign.
(MLO: D, E)
Each quiz will cover the assigned readings from the Willmington text. Each quiz will be open-book/open-notes, contain 20 multiple-choice questions, and have a time limit of 30 minutes.
(MLO: A, B, C, D)