Internship: District-Level Leadership – EDUC 799
CG • Section • 11/10/2019 to 04/18/2020 • Modified 07/28/2020
Requires completion of the projects and minimum hours as specified in proposal. May be repeated to a maximum of six hours.
Advanced Gate 3 with a score of 5, Proposal submitted one semester in advance and approved by the Chair of the Graduate Program.
Because experiential learning is one of the most effective means to develop professionally, an internship is required of all candidates seeking a state license in education. This internship provides practical experience for those preparing for a district level leadership position.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the candidate will be able to:
- Collect and use data to identify school district goals, assess organizational effectiveness, and create and implement plans to achieve district goals (ELCC 1.2).
- Promote continual and sustainable school district improvement (ELCC 1.3).
- Evaluate school district progress and revise district plans supported by school stakeholders (ELCC 1.4).
- Sustain a district culture and instructional program conducive to student learning through collaboration, trust, and a personalized learning environment with high expectations for students (ELCC 2.1).
- Create and evaluate a comprehensive, rigorous, and coherent curricular and instructional district program (ELCC 2.2).
- Develop and supervise the instructional and leadership capacity across the district. (ELCC 2.3).
- Ensure that district time focuses on supporting high-quality school instruction and student (ELCC 3.5).
Textbook readings and lecture presentations/notes
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Course Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in Module/Week 1.
Discussion Board Forums (4)
Discussion boards are collaborative learning experiences. Therefore, the student is required to provide a thread in response to the provided prompt for each forum. Each thread must be 400–500 words and demonstrate course-related knowledge. In addition to the thread, the candidate is required to reply to 2 other classmates’ threads. Each reply must be 200–250 words. Posts must use current APA format.
Intern Information Assignment
The candidate will complete an information form available in the course and submit it along with a scanned copy of his/her onsite supervisor’s license in school administration. Those interning in a private school will also scan and submit a copy of the school’s accreditation certificate.
Licensure Exam Score
The candidate will submit evidence of a passing score on the state licensure exam into 2 locations: (1) Blackboard and (2) the LiveText portfolio template in Part H. This assignment must be completed to receive a passing grade for the course.
Child Abuse Awareness Training
The candidate will complete the training at this website. Upload the certificate of completion into 2 locations: (1) Blackboard and (2) the LiveText portfolio template in Part C as evidence for Competency 6 – Political and Legal Context.
Advanced Competency Assessment (ACA) – Preliminary and Final
The on-site supervisor/mentor will complete both the Preliminary and Final ACA in LiveText.
Portfolio Progress Check
The portfolio will be submitted to be checked for progress. The expectation is that approximately half of the Competency Activities for Part C will be completed and that substantial progress will be made. Additionally, significant progress on Part A and Part B must be demonstrated.
Accountability Protocol Project
The ELCC licensure benchmark assignment for this course is the Accountability Protocol Project.
Field Experience Summary
The candidate will prepare and document a minimum of the following field experience hours: 120 hours of “early field experience” and 200 hours of internship (320 total field experience hours). The form is submitted in LiveText as a separate assignment.
The candidate will complete his/her Portfolio using the template provided at www.LiveText.com. A passing grade on the portfolio is required in order to pass the course.