Communication, Language and Sensory Aspects for Autism – EDUC 628
CG • Section 8WK • 11/08/2019 to 04/16/2020 • Modified 07/28/2020
This course provides students with an overview of the components of communication and strategies to increase an individual’s communication abilities, with emphasis on visual aspects of language. Sensory systems, sensory processing and sensory motor development, and the implication of sensory processing when developing a complete educational program for students with autism spectrum disorders will be discussed.
Background check required
This course provides an overview of communication, language, and sensory research on etiology and interventions for individuals with ASD in clinic, home, and school. Included are strategies for team building, planning, data-based decision making, and evaluation. This course is the second course leading to earning a comprehensive certificate in Autism by the state of Virginia.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Plan for communication needs of individuals.
- Plan for sensory motor needs of individuals.
- Modify instructional techniques to promote positive communication and social skills.
- Outline components of communication (form, semantics, pragmatics, and processing) and its impact on the day-to-day experience of an individual with autism.
- Identify a variety of strategies to increase an individual’s communication abilities.
- Discuss evidence-based interventions for instruction of students with ASD in communication, social skills, daily living skills and academics.
- Explain the implications or influences of sensory processing when developing the complete program.
- Discuss how one’s biblical worldview relates to the acceptance and treatment of all children regardless of disability.
Textbook readings and presentations
Discussion Board Forums (7)
Discussion Boards are collaborative learning experiences. Therefore, the candidate will complete 7 Discussion Board Forums in this course. Each thread must be 400–500 words and 3–5 paragraphs. The thread must be supported with at least 2 sources in current APA format. The candidate will respond to at least 1 classmate in 200–250 words. Each reply must cite at least 2 sources in current APA format. (MLO: A, B, C, E, F, G, H)
Research Assignments (6)
The candidate will critically review 6 journal articles on autism and social or communication skills. Each article must be scholarly (peer-reviewed) and published within the last 5 years. The critical research review must be a minimum of 5 pages. Each review must be in current APA format including in text and reference list citations, margins, font, and spacing. A cover page and reference page are required and are in addition to the required page length. (MLO: A, C, D, E, F)
The candidate will complete a social narrative and video modeling sample and write a review of each sample. Each review needs to be one page in length, have two scholarly sources and be written in APA style. (MLO: A, B, F)
The candidate will answer five prompts. Each answer must be 350 words in length, be supported by two scholarly sources and be written in APA format. (MLO: A-G)