An examination of leadership practice and theory. Students will analyze and discuss the role of communication in leadership practices and theory in personal and professional contexts.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Provide a personal definition of leadership.
- Communicate a personal philosophy of leadership.
- Analyze leadership styles/methods utilized by leaders to influence others.
- Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of various leadership models/approaches.
- Discuss various models of leadership approaches/theories in the context of personal work experience.
- Develop a biblical approach to the process of conflict resolution.
- Identify personal growth in the understanding of leadership in light of course content.
- Discuss the various aspects of leadership in light of a biblical worldview.
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Course Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in Course Overview.
Discussion: Class Introductions
The student will introduce himself/herself to others in the course by posting a thread.
In this course, the student will participate in seven (7) Discussions. For these collaborative discussions, the student is required to provide a thread in response to the provided prompt for each discussion. Each thread must be at least 400 words and demonstrate course-related knowledge. In addition to the thread, the student is required to reply to 1 thread from 2 other classmates for a total of 2 replies. Each reply must be at least 300 words.
Leadership Definition and Philosophy Assignments (2)
The student will submit 2 versions of this paper. The initial version of this paper will be submitted at the beginning of the term. The final version will be submitted at the end of the term. The expectation is that the student will notice substantial change/growth in his/her definition of leadership and his/her new understanding of a personal philosophy and how these will apply to his/her leadership style. Each essay will be 1 – 2 pages, include 2 biblical references, and at least 1 other reference.
Leadership Theory Paper Assignment
The student will write a 10 - page research-based paper that focuses on the integration and application of 2 leadership theories as discussed in the course. The paper must include at least 10 references, none of which will be from the course textbook.
Current Leader Paper Assignment
The student will write a 5 - page paper that analyzes the successes or failures of a current/living leader (of the student’s choice) in light of the leadership theories or principles discussed in the course. At least 3 sources must be included.
Case Study Assignment
The student will follow the instructions provided to react to a case study by presenting his/her analysis and responses.