Leadership Communication – COMS 552
CG • Section 8WK • 11/08/2019 to 04/16/2020 • Modified 07/28/2020
An examination of leadership practice and theory. Students will analyze and discuss the role of communication in leadership practices and theory in personal and professional contexts.
The entire concept of leadership is God’s idea. Jesus Christ provided the single greatest example of what today we call “servant leadership.” This course provides a learning forum in which the student will integrate biblical, academic (theoretical), and practical examples of how we can become better leaders within our crafts and spheres of influence.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Provide a personal definition of leadership.
- Communicate a personal philosophy of leadership.
- Analyze leadership styles/methods utilized by leaders to influence others.
- Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of various leadership models/approaches.
- Discuss various models of leadership approaches/theories in the context of personal work experience.
- Develop a biblical approach to the process of conflict resolution.
- Identify personal growth in the understanding of leadership in light of course content.
- Discuss the various aspects of leadership in light of a biblical worldview.
Textbook readings and lecture presentations
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Course Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in Module/Week 1.
Class Introductions Discussion Board
The student will introduce himself/herself to others in the course by posting a thread containing the following information:
- Where he/she lives (state or country only)
- Family, hobbies/interests, and anything else he/she wants to share about himself/herself
- Which specific degree he/she is pursuing
- Current job
- His/her plans after this course (For example: How many courses to graduation? Does he/she plan to begin a new job as a result of his/her degree? Does he/she plan to continue his/her education towards a higher degree?)
- What he/she would like to learn from this course?
This is a required, graded assignment.
Group Discussion Board Forums (7)
The instructor will place the student into a group at the beginning of the course. For this collaborative discussion board, the student is required to provide a thread in response to the provided prompt for each forum. Each thread must be at least 200 words and demonstrate course-related knowledge. In addition to the thread, the student is required to reply to 1 thread from 2 other classmates, for a total of 2 replies. Each reply must be at least 150 words.
Leadership Definition and Philosophy (2)
The student will submit 2 versions of this paper. The expectation is that the student will notice substantial change/growth in his/her definition of leadership and his/her new understanding of a personal philosophy and how these will apply to his/her leadership style. Each essay will be 1–2 pages, include 2 biblical references, and at least 1 other reference.
Leadership Theory Paper
The student will write a 10-page research-based paper that focuses on the integration and application of 2 leadership theories as discussed in the course. The paper must include at least 10 references, none of which will be from the course textbook.
Current Leader Paper
The student will write a 5-page paper that analyzes the successes or failures of a current/living leader (of the student’s choice) in light of the leadership theories or principles discussed in the course. At least 3 sources must be included.
The student will follow the instructions provided to react to a case study by presenting his/her analysis and responses.