Principles of Property Managment – BUSI 480
CG • Section 8WK • 07/01/2018 to 12/31/2199 • Modified 07/28/2020
This course provides a comprehensive overview of the property management industry as it relates to residential, multi-family and commercial properties. This includes the interactions between owners, tenants and property managers as well as associated business and tax implications.
This course explores the fundamental precepts of property management. It highlights the usefulness of knowing tax, tenant, owner and property interactions as it relates to both residential, multi-family and commercial properties.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
- Explain the personal and professional qualities of successful property managers.
- Determine the general scope of authority of property managers, based on the terms of the relationship with the property owner.
- Analyze the proper methods of when to retain property management personnel and when to hire skilled tradespeople and contractors.
- Outline the business concepts related to property management, including advertising, marketing, electronic record-keeping systems implementation, profit and loss, operating budget, and return on investment.
- Examine how to target and screen for reliable tenants and how to handle tenant-related issues, such as obtaining security deposits, collecting rent, enforcing occupancy rules, and performing evictions.
- Describe the importance of risk management and appropriate security for property and outline the steps to follow to assess liability and secure adequate liability insurance.
- Explore the federal regulations and environmental concerns as it relates to property management.
- Apply biblical principles within the field of property management.
Textbook readings and lecture presentations
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Course Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in Module/Week 1.
Discussion Board Forums (4)
Discussion boards are collaborative learning experiences. Therefore, the student will complete discussion board forums. The purpose of the Discussion Board Forums is to generate interaction in regard to relevant, current course topics. Therefore, the student is required to submit a thread in response to the provided prompt for each forum. Each thread must be at least 250 words, demonstrate course-related knowledge, and be supported with at least 2 citations in current APA format. Acceptable sources include the course textbook, scholarly journal articles, and the Bible. In addition to the thread, the student is required to reply to the threads of at least 2 classmates. Each reply must be at least 100 words.
Case Study Assignments (4)
The student will complete 4 Case Study Assignments. Each assignment will be a Case Study assigned by the instructor and must be completed individually by the student.
The student will be assigned a topic to complete for a current topic in Property Management. This paper will integrate concepts of property management with a biblical worldview perspective.
The student will complete 3 exams in Blackboard. Each exam will have a time limit of 40 minutes with 25 Multiple-Choice/True and False questions. Exams are open-book/open-notes. The students will only have one attempt at the exam, and the exam must be taken in one sitting.