Master of Social Work (MSW) – Advanced Generalist: General Cognate
Promote Justice and Human Rights with a Master of Social Work from Liberty University
Are you seeking an online master’s degree that can help you become a licensed social worker? If so, Liberty’s 100% online Master of Social Work (MSW) – Advanced Generalist: General cognate may be for you! Our program can help prepare you to sit for social work licensure exams* and pursue a variety of careers, including refugee resettlement, human trafficking intervention, trauma recovery, and nonprofit management.
Because our MSW with the advanced generalist specialization provides foundational training in core skills, you can apply to this program even if you don’t have a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree. In addition to engaging in hands-on projects and class discussions throughout the program, you’ll also participate in practicum courses and at least 1,000 hours of field experience. At least 600 of these hours will be completed under the supervision of a master’s-level social worker. That way, you can boost your résumé with real-world experience and learn how to better serve your clients.
The general cognate for our MSW degree has no set courses, so you can study topics that best match your interests and career goals. Whether you want to work in the United States or abroad, Liberty is committed to helping you develop your skill set, advance your career, and become a Champion for Christ — wherever God is calling you.
We also offer a cognate in individual and family clinical.
Licensure requirements may vary by state. Please research your state’s licensure or reciprocity requirements here: https://www.liberty.edu/statelicensure/.
What Will You Learn in Liberty University’s Online Master of Social Work Program?
- Advanced generalist practices for working with individuals, families, and groups
- Methods for conducting multi-level agency assessments and recommending micro- or macro-level intervention
- The biological, psychological, social, spiritual, and environmental aspects of the human experience
- The importance of integrity, competence, social justice, and service in the field of social work
Throughout this program, our professors will encourage you to demonstrate humility and understanding as you engage with diverse populations. Our core MSW content explores practical techniques for working with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities. Within the general cognate, you’ll have the freedom to select 4 elective courses.
You can also learn how to promote the health and safety of social workers and conduct multi-level agency assessments. By studying American social policy through the lens of a biblical worldview, you can prepare to navigate critical challenges in the field of social work.
Potential Careers for Online MSW Graduates
- Agency director
- Medical social worker
- Mental health therapist
- Program director
- School social worker
- Social work supervisor
Please note: Some roles may require licensure in social work, and each state has specific requirements for licensure. Be sure to research the licensure requirements in your state.
Benefits of Pursuing Your Master of Social Work Degree with Liberty University
As a leader in distance education since 1985, we understand what it takes to create a flexible and affordable education for busy people. Since we have been investing in distance and online learning for decades, our experience has taught us how to streamline our degree options so you can focus on what really matters to you. While many schools offer online degrees, we believe Liberty stands out.
Here’s what sets us apart:
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 10 online schools in America. Earning your online Master of Social Work – Advanced Generalist: General cognate from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can finish this Master of Social Work – Advanced Generalist: General cognate in as little as 2 years!
- You’ll complete at least 1,000 hours of field experience prior to graduation, including 600 hours under the supervision of a master’s-level social worker.
- Our MSW is designed to help you sit for social work licensure exams.
Service is important to us, so whether you’re currently serving in the Armed Forces, have served, or are married to someone who serves, we’re here to serve you. Liberty’s military benefits are available to:
- Active duty service members of the U.S. Armed Forces
- Reserve/National Guard
- Spouses of service members and veterans/retirees
- Current Department of Defense employees
We are proud to support you in your pursuit of a flexible and affordable online education by offering you the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
100% online, 8-week courses
Transfer in up to 50% of the degree total
Next Start Date
Sep 20, 2021
Liberty University is accredited by SACSCOC
Experience That Matters to You
As an accredited Christian college with a 7,000-acre campus in Lynchburg, Virginia, Liberty University offers you an education that is both academically challenging and rooted in a biblical worldview.
At Liberty, you’ll benefit from 30+ years of learning, growing, adapting, and innovating for the distance learner — and more than a decade of researching the needs of the online student. You can be confident that we’ve taken the time to learn what’s important to you.
And what’s that?
- Academic Quality
These important factors challenged us to find new financial solutions, get ahead of industry trends, and blaze trails into cutting-edge career fields — and it’s paid off. That’s the difference experience makes.
We are widely recognized as a top university for affordability, accessibility, and academic quality.
Why Choose Liberty University?
Enjoy Flexible Courses
Choose from a wide variety of programs at the associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level, most of which are 100% online*. With an 8-week format and 8 start dates per year, it’s easy to fit your courses around your schedule!
* excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
Maximize Your Time
Start and finish your degree faster! Liberty requires no standardized testing for admission, and you can transfer previous course credit — transfer in up to 75% of a bachelor’s degree and up to 50% of a master’s, postgraduate, or doctoral degree — or discover how your life, career, or military experience may count toward your college degree.
Grow in Your Faith
All of our courses are taught from a Christian perspective, and our faculty see themselves as mentors. Our mission is to Train Champions for Christ — we’re committed to championing you as you study to go further in your field, become a leader in your industry, or start a new career.
Access Academic Support
Throughout your educational journey, you will have access to academic resources that will aid in the completion of your degree. Services include our online library, writing center, tutoring, study aids, IT assistance, 30+ tutorial videos, live webinars, and personalized help from our academic advising team.
At Liberty, we believe in putting a world-class Christian education within reach — so our tuition rates have been frozen for 6 years and counting!
As a nonprofit (not-for-profit) university, Liberty is in the business of training skilled professionals to make a difference in the world – not gaining profit, revenue, or producing dividends for shareholders. In keeping with our commitment to your education, we invest our resources back into degree programs and into your student experience.
While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university and has not increased tuition for 6 straight years. Lower tuition means less student loan debt for students.
For Liberty University, nonprofit is more than a status; it is a valuable opportunity to invest in the lives of students who will go out and impact the world.
Nearly 80% of all Liberty students in an online program are awarded financial aid. Virginia residents may qualify for additional aid — learn more!
Corporate Tuition Assistance
Deferred – If your company reimburses you for the cost of your education, you pay only a portion of your balance up front. You submit your grades to your employer who pays you, and then you pay the remaining balance for your classes.
Qualified military service members, veterans, and their spouses can receive up to 55% off their tuition rate for eligible programs!
Contact one of our Admissions Counselors for more information by calling (800) 424-9595.