Professor Harvey came to Liberty University in 2007 after serving 21 years as an Air Force Officer. In the Air Force, he worked as a critical care nurse, taught at the Air Force Medical Schoolhouse, and finished his career as Air Staff working for the Chief Nurse of the Air Force. At Liberty, he has taught courses throughout the residential curriculum to include all levels from freshmen to senior courses. Also while at Liberty, Professor Harvey earned his Doctorate of Education degree. His lovely wife Carol is also an RN and teaches at the LU School of Nursing. He loves working alongside his wife! One of Professor Harvey’s guiding bible verses as a teacher is found in Psalms 19:14 “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer” (NIV). His goals as an educator include sharing/living out the gospel with his students, preparing students to pass the NCLEX, and helping students develop excellence in nursing.
- Association for Nursing Professional Development
- Liberty University Honor Society of Nursing
- National League for Nursing
- Sigma Theta Tau International
- NURS 105 Medical Terminology
- NURS 210 Health Assessment
- NURS 221 Fundamentals in Nursing
- NURS 225 Research in Nursing
- NURS 301 Strategies for Adult Health Care I
- NURS 302 Strategies for Adult Health Care II
- NURS 416 Preceptorship in Nursing
- NURS 460 Advanced Strategies for Adult Health Care
- Kim, J., Akers, Chambers, A., Bishop, L., Bistany, B., Harvey, J., Houghton, A., Joseph, R., Mullen, L. (2021) The efficacy of a forgiveness bibliotherapy: A randomized controlled trial with nursing students. Journal of Holistic Nursing, Volume XX, Number X, Pg 1-15.
- Harvey, J. & Keith, S. (2019). Faith and the Academy. Incarnational Ministry for the Healing of Body and Soul: Interdisciplinary Engagement from Nursing and Chaplaincy. Liberty University.
- Brown, K., Bridge, D., Harvey, J., Humphrey, H., Hutchins, H., Whorley, E. (2015) Do baccalaureate nursing students from an evangelical Christian university perceive themselves as prepared to delivery spiritual care as new graduate nurses? Virginia Tech Professional Conference.
- Chapter Reviewer (Chapter 42 and 43) for: Lewis, S.L., Dirksen, S.R., Heitkemper, M.M., Bucher, L., & Harding, M.M. (2014). Medical-Surgical Nursing: Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems (9th ed.). St. Louis: Elsevier.
- Chapter Contributor (Chapter 64 Musculoskeletal Problems): Lewis, S.L., Dirksen, S.R., Heitkemper, M.M., Bucher, L., & Harding, M.M. (2014). Medical-Surgical Nursing: Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems (9th ed.). St. Louis: Elsevier.
- Chapter Reviewer for: Silvestri, L. & Silvestri A. (2013). Saunders Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-PN® Examination. St. Louis: Elsevier.
- Adult Education
- Cardiac Nursing
- Gastrointestinal Nursing
- Medical Surgical Nursing
- Nursing Staff Development
- Orthopedic Nursing