Tuition Assistance (TA) – Department of Defense (DoD)
Below is a snapshot of what DoD Tuition Assistance may cover. To determine your eligibility, please contact your Human Resources Office or Office Supervisor directly.
- Must be an employee of the U.S. Department of Defense
- May cover up to $250 per credit hour
- Fiscal year cap of $4500
- May cover up to 18 credit hours per military fiscal year
What You Need to Know
Please note if you have not used DoD Tuition Assistance before, your first step is to contact your Human Resources Office or Office Supervisor for assistance with getting started. We’ve outlined a few items below we want you to be aware of as you utilize your Tuition Assistance at Liberty University.
- Your Tuition Assistance form is referred to as an SF-182 form. We may also accept a TA Authorization letter on official letterhead.
- You will need to make sure the correct course information is included on your SF-182 or TA Authorization letter. Forms with incorrect information cannot be accepted. The information needed includes:
- Identifying student information (your form may include the last four digits of your social security number. You may black out this information and replace it with your Student ID.)
- The course subject code and number (ex: ENGL 100)
- The course title (ex: Basic Composition)
- The course dates (ex: Spring B term, 1/13/20 – 3/6/20)
- The number of credit hours (semester hours) and cost per credit hour
- The approved amount per course
- Invoicing Instructions and/or Invoicing POC and email address
- You must submit your approved SF-182 to the Office of Military Affairs by the TA Form deadline and complete Financial Check-In by the deadline corresponding to your sub-term of enrollment. See our Dates and Deadlines and Financial Check-In Guide for more information.
- The authorized funds will be applied to your student account based on the amount of tuition and/or class fees indicated on your SF-182 or TA Authorization Letter.
- The Office of Military Affairs will invoice your DoD employer directly. Invoices are submitted to DoD employers after the add/drop date for each sub-term per the provided invoicing instructions on your DoD TA document. Your DoD employer will pay Liberty University directly based on the invoice(s) submitted.
- Book Voucher Advances may be applied to your student account if you are approved books/material stipends on your DoD TA document. These vouchers must be used through Liberty’s online bookstore Barnes & Noble College.
- We typically do not submit your grades to the DoD for TA courses (unless this is required by your employer during the invoicing process). Most typically, you will be responsible for submitting this information to your employer directly if it is needed. You may be able to access a free unofficial transcript through your ASIST account to meet this requirement.
Army civilians must generat their DoD tuition assistance (TA) through ArmyIgnitED. Once the SF-182 has been created in ArmyIgnitED, the SF-182 can be submitted directly to the Office of Military Affairs by emailing email@example.com.
ArmyIgnitED – Create SF-182
- Log into ArmyIgnitED and click Careerist Path.
- Click Create SF 182.
- Fill out the requested fields and click Next.
- Fill out your student information and click Next. You can download an instruction manual by clicking SF182 Instruction Manual.
- Fill out the training information and click Next.
- Fill out your Training Funding and Costs information then click Next.
- Review your SF-182 Summary and click on a prior step to update any incorrect information by clicking the icon associated with each section of your application.
- Click View Continued Service Agreement then click the checkbox next to the agreement statement.
- Click Submit for Approval.
- Your SF 182 will be reviewed for final approval and funding
- Your SF 182 will be reviewed by your Immediate Supervisor. Once reviewed, you will receive a notification via email and ArmyIgnitED messages. For a rejected SF 182, you may be asked to correct your SF 182 and re-submit.
- Next, your SF 182 will be submitted to your Career Program Manager for approval. Once reviewed, you will receive a notification via email and ArmyIgnitED messages. For a rejected SD 182, you may be asked to correct your SF 182 and re-submit.
- Next, your SF 182 will be submitted to your HQ ACCMA for approval. Once reviewed, you will receive a notification via email and ArmyIgnitED messages.