(VaARNG) Virginia Army National Guard Scholarship
In support of the soldiers serving our nation and the great state of Virginia, Liberty University is proud to collaborate with the Virginia Army National Guard (VaARNG) to provide scholarship opportunities to qualifying members of the VaARNG.
- Up to fifteen $2000 scholarships are available each year
- Scholarships are awarded annually, and renewal is required each academic year
The VaARNG Scholarship is offered to soldiers serving in the Virginia Army National Guard who are pursuing a certificate or degree program at the undergraduate level. This is a need-based scholarship program and is considered last payer to other larger scholarships, grants, and State and Federal Tuition Assistance.
- Must be a current soldier in the VaARNG who has successfully completed Basic Training or Officer Candidate Course
- Must be in good standing with their National Guard unit
- Must be an accepted residential or online student at Liberty University pursuing part-time or full-time enrollment (course enrollment not required at time of application)
- Must be in good standing with Liberty University academically, financially, and socially (Liberty Way)
- Must apply through the Liberty University VaARNG liaison* by the posted application deadline (application process noted below)
- May only be used for a student’s first Certificate, Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree
- Recipients must maintain the minimum required GPA for their degree plan (2.0 for Undergraduate degrees)
- Funding is only awarded for classes that contribute to the degree completion plan of their eligible program
- Continued eligibility is not guaranteed from one school year to the next, and recipients must reapply for the VaARNG scholarship each academic year to determine eligibility
- Recipients must apply for and use available federal Tuition Assistance and State Tuition Assistance as available to National Guard service members before scholarship funds will be applied
- If a student elects to use their Post-9/11 GI Bill®, they will be ineligible for scholarship funds to be posted within the same term
- Classes required on the degree plan that cannot be covered by GI Bill benefits (i.e. remedial classes) may have VaARNG scholarship dollars awarded for those classes only
- Award amounts may be limited by Liberty University General Scholarship Rule
This scholarship program is a two-approval process, requiring approval from the VaARNG liaison to ensure applicant meets all VaARNG eligibility requirements and the Liberty University Office of Military Affairs to ensure applicant meets all Liberty University eligibility requirements.
How To Apply
- Applications received by 1 July 2020 will be given priority consideration for the upcoming academic year
- Applications received by 1 November 2020 will be considered for any remaining scholarship slots not filled on the first application round for the 19-20 academic year
*Important Note: Due to FERPA privacy requirements, Liberty University may not send any student information to the VaARNG. Students are required to submit the application to the VaARNG liaison directly to be reviewed for initial eligibility. Applications approved by the VaARNG will be sent to the Office of Military Affairs for final review and approval. The Office of Military Affairs will inform each applicant of his/her application status.
- This scholarship is fully funded by Liberty University. Liberty University does not receive any Federal or State funding for this scholarship.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.