Peter A. Bell, DO, MBA, FACOEP-dist, FACEP
Professor of Family and Emergency Medicine
Health Policy Fellow
Phone: (434) 592-6515
- DO, University of New England, College of Osteopathic Medicine
- MBA, Ohio University
- BA, Hamilton College
Awards, Credentials, Recognition
- Diplomat American Osteopathic Board of Emergency Medicine
- Diplomat American Osteopathic Board of Family Practice
- Legacy Award, Ohio Osteopathic Association, 2017
- National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners; COMLEX 2 PE-Case Writer of the Year, 2015
- Honorary Alumni, Ohio University Heritage College, 2014
- Trustees Award, Ohio Osteopathic Association, 2014
- AOA Guardians of the Profession, 2013
- Master Clinician, Emergency Medicine Physicians Inc., 2013
- James Sosnowski, DO Distinguished Service Award, Columbus Academy Osteopathic Medicine, 2013
- Bruce Horton Lifetime Achievement Award, ACOEP 2012
- Master Clinical Faculty, Ohio University HCOM, 2011
- Distinguished Fellow, ACOEP, 2009
- Phi Kappa Phi, 2008
- Beta Gamma Sigma, International Business Honor Society, 2008
- William Linder, DO Advocacy Award, Columbus Academy Osteopathic Medicine, 2008
- Standard of Excellence 2004, Ohio University HCOM.Outstanding Service Award, Doctors Hospital-Department of Emergency Medicine, 2001
- Fellow, American College of Emergency Physicians, 1999
- National Teaching Faculty Award, American College of Emergency Physicians, 1999
- Commendation for Curriculum Development, Ohio University HCOM, 1999
- Commendation for Research, Ohio University, 1998
- Meritorious Service Award, Doctors Hospital-Department of Emergency Medicine, 1998
- A. T. Still Society, University of New England, 1997
- Fellow, American College of Osteopathic Emergency Physicians, 1992
Dr. Bell is a 1980 graduate of Hamilton College and obtained his medical degree from the University of New England in 1984. He completed residencies in Family Medicine and Emergency Medicine and is board certified in both. His first job was as Medical Director of the Emergency Department at OhioHealth Doctors Hospital in Columbus, Ohio. He established the first emergency medicine residency at Doctors Hospital in 1991, and has been an attending faculty member at Doctors Hospital for the past 27 years.
Dr. Bell was appointed Assistant Dean for the Ohio University CORE system in 1995. He has since completed a two-year Fellowship in Academic Administration, a Health Policy Fellowship through the AOA, and in 2002 was promoted to Professor of Emergency Medicine. Actively engaged in clinical teaching, research, and education, Dr. Bell saw a need for advanced expertise in business management. In 2008, he graduated first in his class from the Ohio University MBA program.
Dr. Bell has also served in several leadership positions: President of the Ohio Osteopathic Association, President of Ohio Chapter American College of Emergency Physicians, national President of the American College of Osteopathic Emergency Physicians, and in 2015 was named Chair of the OUHCOM-CORE Board. He continues to serve on a variety of state and national bureaus and committees.
Dr. Bell has participated in Grants and Research involving more than $100M. He has published dozens of papers and editorials, lead the development and implementation of hundreds of scholarly projects, as well as, regularly presents at national and international forums.
For over 33 years, Dr. Bell has been a guiding voice in both health policy and osteopathic education. He has a passion for osteopathic medicine, teaches osteopathic diagnosis and treatment, and is active in the formulation of health policy.