LU Rawlings School of Divinity Dean discusses God’s future plan
Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine (LUCOM) weekly Convocation featured LU Rawlings School of Divinity Dean, Ed Hindson, D.Phil., D.Min., Th.D., who spoke to LUCOM faculty, administrative staff, and student-doctors about God’s future plan for believers.
Dr. Hindson, who has experienced numerous health problems over his lifetime, expressed his appreciation, gratitude, and love for doctors. He reminded the student-doctors that they are training for a job that will grow them, challenge them, humble them, and allow them to change so many people's lives, including their own. His message was based on the coming days for believers in Christ and what God plans to do. “Scripture tells us that, that God will ultimately come back one day and take us to be with him,” said Dr. Hindson. “Every denomination affirms the commitment to the idea of the return of Christ.”
Dr. Hindson laid out seven promises for God’s future plan:
- Rapture. “And now, dear brothers and sisters, we want you to know what will happen to the believers who have died so you will not grieve like people who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and was raised to life again, we also believe that when Jesus returns, God will bring back with him the believers who have died. We tell you this directly from the Lord: We who are still living when the Lord returns will not meet him ahead of those who have died. For the Lord, himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, the believers who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Then we will be with the Lord forever.” 1 Thessalonians 4:13-17
- Bride to the Father’s House. “There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am.” John 14:2-3
- Judgment Seat of Christ. “So why do you condemn another believer? Why do you look down on another believer? Remember, we will all stand before the judgment seat of God.” Romans 14:10
- Marriage of the Lamb. “Let us be glad and rejoice, and let us give honor to him. For the time has come for the wedding feast of the Lamb, and his bride has prepared herself. She has been given the finest of pure white linen to wear. For the fine linen represents the good deeds of God’s holy people.” Revelation 19:7-8
- Triumphal Return. “The armies of heaven, dressed in the finest of pure white linen, followed him on white horses.” Revelation 19:14
- Millennial Reign. “Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven with the key to the bottomless pit and a heavy chain in his hand. He seized the dragon—that old serpent, who is the devil, Satan—and bound him in chains for a thousand years. The angel threw him into the bottomless pit, which he then shut and locked so Satan could not deceive the nations anymore until the thousand years were finished. Afterward he must be released for a little while. Then I saw thrones, and the people sitting on them had been given the authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their testimony about Jesus and for proclaiming the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or his statue, nor accepted his mark on their foreheads or their hands. They all came to life again, and they reigned with Christ for a thousand years. This is the first resurrection. (The rest of the dead did not come back to life until the thousand years had ended.) Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. For them the second death holds no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him a thousand years.” Revelation 20:1-6
- Eternal City. “Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the old heaven and the old earth had disappeared. And the sea was also gone. And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven like a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.” Revelation 21:1-2
Dr. Hindson is an active conference speaker and has authored over 40 books. He has served as the editor of five major Study Bibles, including the Gold Medallion Award-winning Knowing Jesus Study Bible by Zondervan, and the best-selling King James Study Bible by Thomas Nelson.