Assistant Dean of Academics | Years 1 and 2, Professor of Neurosciences
- PhD, West Virginia University School of Medicine
- BS in Neuroscience, Allegheny College
- Integument and Musculoskeletal Systems – IMSK
- Endocrine and Reproductive Systems – ENDREP
- Endocrinology – ENDO
- Neurology/Psychiatry/Ophthalmology – NPO
- OMS-IV Pain Course
Dr. Wells pursued his interest in neuroscience at the West Virginia University School of Medicine, researching neurobiological mechanisms of neonatal epileptiform activity.
He began his teaching career at Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine, where his research interests shifted to include pain research and he taught neuroanatomy and gross anatomy. He has also held faculty positions at West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine and Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine, teaching neuroscience, human gross anatomy, and electives in addiction medicine before coming to LUCOM.
- Wells, J.E. and Sanford, B. (2011). Review of Human Neuroanatomy for the Practicing Psychiatrist – Appendix B. In Agronin, M.E. and Maletta, G.J. (Eds.), Principles and Practice of Geriatric Psychiatry, Second Edition. Philadelphia: Lippencott Williams and Wilkins.
- Wells JE, Rose ET, Rowland KC, Hatton, JF. (2007) Kv1.4 Subunit Expression is Decreased in Neurons of Painful Human Pulp. Journal of Endodontics; 33:827-829.
- Wells JE, Rowland KC, Proctor E. (2007) Hyperpolarization-activated channels in trigeminal ganglia innervating healthy and pulp-exposed teeth. International Endodontic Journal; 40(9):715-721.
- Wells JE, Bingham V, Rowland KC, Hatton, JF. (2007) Expression of Nav1.9 Channels in Dental Pulp and Trigeminal Ganglion of the Human. Journal of Endodontics; 33(10):1172-6.
- Rowland KC, Kanive CB, Wells JE, Hatton JF. (2007) TRPM2 immunoreactivity is increased in fibroblasts, but not nerves, of symptomatic human dental pulp. Journal of Endodontics;33(3):245-248.
- Rutz JC, Wells JE, Hildebolt CF, Hatton JF, Rowland KC. (2007) Corticotropin-releasing factor (CRF) receptors are upregulated in pulp following dental injury. Journal of Endodontics; 33(11):1319-24.
- Agmon A and Wells JE. (2003) The role of the hyperpolarization-activated cationic current Ih in the timing of interictal bursts in the neonatal hippocampus. Journal of Neuroscience, 23(9):3658-3668.
- Wells JE, Porter JT, Agmon A. (2000) GABAergic Inhibition Suppresses Paroxysmal Network Activity in the Neonatal Rodent Hippocampus and Neocortex. Journal of Neuroscience, 20(23): 8822-8830.
- Neurobiological mechanisms of pain generation and perception