Friend or Foe Graduation Prayer Campaign
The purpose of Liberty Counsel's annual "Friend or Foe" Graduation Prayer Campaign is to protect religious viewpoints at graduation. Liberty Counsel will be the friend of schools that recognize the free speech rights of students and the foe of those that violate their constitutional rights. The key to graduation prayer is that the school should remain neutral - neither commanding nor prohibiting voluntary prayer or religious viewpoints.
Liberty Counsel will educate and, if necessary, litigate to ensure that prayer and religious views are not suppressed during graduation ceremonies across the Nation.
Liberty Counsel is distributing red prayer wristbands which students can wear as a reminder to pray at graduation and all throughout the school year. The wristbands are embossed with "I WILL PRAY" and "PRAY WITHOUT CEASING - I THESS. 5:17." Students have the constitutional right to wear religious jewelry and to pray during noninstructional times while at school. Liberty Counsel also has a free legal memo on graduation prayer.
In order to receive federal funds under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, every local school district must certify that it is not engaging in any policy or practice which interferes with constitutionally protected prayer. Schools may lose federal funds if they fail to comply with the guidelines.
1. Print our free Legal Opinion Regarding Constitutionality of the Use of Religious Venues for Public
School Events (in PDF) and Legal Memorandum on Graduation Prayer (also in PDF) to share with
your local school officials;
2. Forward this email to your friends so they will be informed about graduation prayer;
3. Tell us if you learn of a public school attempting to censor graduation messages;
4. Support our Friend or Foe Graduation Prayer Campaign;
5. Give some students our "I WILL PRAY" wristbands, and
6. Order copies of PATRIOTS HANDBOOK OF RELIGIOUS FREEDOM IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS to share with public school officials, teachers, and students.
All materials herein that have been produced by Liberty Counsel are protected by copyright law.
The information contained herein is not intended to render legal advice.
Factual and legal issues may arise that must be considered in each circumstance.
If legal advice is necessary, the services of a competent attorney should be sought.