Tau Sigma National Honor Society
"Recognizing and Promoting the Academic Excellence and Involvement of Transfer Students"
2014 Induction Ceremony -Video
- The Liberty University Chapter of Tau Sigma National Honor Society recognizes transfer students who have a 3.5 GPA or higher after their first semester at Liberty University.
- Transfer students comprise 18% of Liberty University's new students each Fall and 20% of Liberty University's new students each Spring.
- In Spring 2009 Liberty University inducted 39 charter members.
- Each year since Spring 2009, there has been an increase of transfer students who show outstanding excellence and have joined Liberty University's chapter.
Spring 2010 - 184
Spring 2011 - 345 (including Liberty University Online*)
Spring 2012 - 361*
Spring 2013 - 375*
Spring 2014 - 588*
- The honor society is overseen by the leadership of Dr. Brian Yates, Dean of CASAS.
2014-2015 Liberty Chapter Officers
- President - James Murphy
- Vice President - Leanna Marino
- Secretary - Kendra Hall
- Technology Chair - Kyle McCallum
- Treasurer - Rachael Graf
- You must have transferred to Liberty University from another academic institution with at least one full years’ academic credits satisfied at the prior institution(s).
- You must be registered in a course of study leading to a bachelor's degree for an amount of work equal to an average full load (usually 12 to 15 hours - however, the definition of a full load is left to the discretion of each institution).
- Your minimum academic average required for membership is either a 3.5 on a 4.0 scale at the end of your first semester here at Liberty University.
Scholarship Application for Current Members
It is time for the annual Tau Sigma scholarship application to be submitted! Last year, 53 scholarships totaling $50,000 were awarded. 2 applications will be submitted from our local chapter for consideration. To be considered, you must electronically submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 1, 2014 at noon eastern time.
- Only applicants enrolled in a college or university for at least one academic term during the calendar year 2015 will be considered. The applicant’s future enrollment does not have to be at their current institution and can be at either the undergraduate or graduate level.
- Previous Tau Sigma scholarship winners are not eligible.
The Scholarship Review Committee will evaluate the applicants based on their:
- Involvement in and service to the chapter
- Involvement in and service to the university
- Service to the community
- Academic achievement
While the Scholarship Review Committee does not dictate the specific weight that each of the above criteria will carry, involvement in and service to the chapter and university will be weighed more heavily than the other criteria.
- Tau Sigma - Transition and Scholarship
- Red - courage when facing challenges of transition
- Wheat - continual harvesting of success in all future endeavors
Additional chapter information and photos may be found on the Tau Sigma National Honor Society - Liberty University Chapter Facebook page.