Office of Risk Mangement

Office of Risk Management

The LU Office of Risk Management administers the University’s risk management program by providing central coordination of exposure identification, risk evaluation, risk control and risk financing. Risk Management staff evaluate risks to students, faculty, staff and visitors, and recommends alternatives for protection against or elimination of these risks. Risk Management also analyzes the costs involved with each risk and resulting liabilities.

Mission Statement

The mission of Liberty University’s Office of Risk management is to promote safety and accident prevention; manage the protection of University assets, both human and financial; minimize legal liabilities; and support compliance with environmental and safety regulations.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. I was injured while performing my work duties, what do I need to do?

  2. What do I do if I have a vehicle accident in a University owned or rented vehicle while on University business?

  3. What do I do if I have a vehicle accident in my own personal vehicle while on University business?

  4. I am going to a foreign country and will be taking University owned property with me. What do I need to do to have coverage for this property?

  5. What do I do if I discover potential damage or loss to University owned or leased property?

  6. What do I do when I become aware of a potential injury to someone other than an employee of LU or damage to property not owned by LU?

  7. What information do I need to provide to Office of Risk Management when my department sells or places a University vehicle in surplus?

  8. How do I insure a recently acquired University vehicle?

  9. What is a Certificate of Insurance and how do I get one?

  10. When is a Certificate of Insurance required of outside vendors, contractors and third-parties whom may rent LU facilities?

  11. What is Proof of Coverage and what do I do to provide Proof of Coverage?

  12. I am a student and have been involved in an an accident and/or have an injury, what do I need to do?


Answer 1 - You should notify your supervisor and request this form  be provided to you. If you need medical attention you should seek it from the approved panel of Physicians and have the attending physician complete section two of the form. You should then return it to your supervisor who will provide a copy to Human Resources.

If emergency treatment is necessary you may seek treatment from any emergency medical treatment center.

Answer 2 - For vehicle-related incidents occurring off-campus,

  • notify local law enforcement if there is any possibility of personal injuries, any damages to non-University vehicles , or if physical damages to the University vehicle can be expected to exceed over $500. In most cases dialing 911 is usually appropriate following any incident where personal injuries may be present or vehicles are not operable.
  • Local law enforcement agencies may not respond to all incidents (especially minor incidents and/or incidents that do not occur on public roadways), but notification should still be made and documented. If the incident occurred on private property, take notes or photos of the scene and if applicable, move the vehicle out or harm’s way to gather additional information.
  • Gather appropriate information, including date/time of the incident, who or what was involved (including information on the other vehicle and/or its driver - if another vehicle was involved), weather or lighting conditions, and names, address and phone numbers of any witnesses. Note the names of the passengers in your vehicle and the number of occupants in the other vehicle (and obtain their names and ages if possible).
  • Fully cooperate with police and other officials immediately following an accident or during the initial accident report; however, when driving a University-owned vehicle or while conducting University business avoid offering any opinion as to fault or admission of guilt to police, officials, or other persons involved in the accident as a participant or witness. If pressed, simply say that the matter will be turned over to the University and its insurance company.
  • As soon as practical, notify your immediate supervisor and the University’s Human Resources Safety Manager. If possible, call from the scene of the incident as someone from the University may be able to come to the scene to assist. Complete an Accident Report within 24 hours of the incident. The Liberty University Police Department or Human Resources will provide the necessary form(s) for completion.
  • All vehicle-related incidents must be reported to the University’s HR Safety Manager even if there are no apparent injuries and/or damages are perceived to be insignificant. This includes all incidents involving a personal vehicle while being operated for University business.

Answer 3 - See Answer #2 and notify your personal auto insurance as well as it will be primary in responding to damages to your vehicle and any third party.

Answer 4 - The University can provide coverage for property located in most countries, subject to normal exclusions. Certain high-risk countries are excluded from coverage. You will need to send a list of the equipment, each item's replacement value, the countries the equipment will travel in, the dates of the trip, and written approval from your dean or department head to allow the equipment to go on the trip, to the Office of Risk Management early in the planning phase of your trip (allow 3-4 weeks lead time).

Answer 5 - Contact Field Services or your designated building maintenance provider for damage involving the building structure or flooring.

  • If you believe property has been damage due to theft or Vandalism contact LUPD (434) 592-7642.
  • For potential high value damages, machinery damages over $2,500, or any situation that you believe warrants the immediate attention of the Office of Risk Management, call (434) 592-6446, for assistance.
  • Preserve evidence. Take steps to stop further damage from occurring.
  • If stopping further damage prevents preserving evidence, stopping further damage takes precedence.
  • If the loss is under $2,500 you do not need to report it to the Office of Risk Management, with the following exceptions:
    • The incident involves potential losses to other departments such as Facilities Management, other building occupants, other locations at Liberty, such as might occur during storms, power fluctuations, flooding, etc.
    • If the loss could be in excess of $2,500 complete an Incident Report Form and forward it to the Office Risk Management as soon as possible but no later than 48 hours after the incident. you will be contacted by a representative of the Office to discuss the loss further and you will be provided with the documentation and information requirements needed in order to determine coverage and process your claim.
    • Save all damaged items for possible insurance related inspection, if possible.

Answer 6 - If the damage or injury occurs on grounds, or off grounds where University activity is taking place, do the following:

  • Do not make a statement of any kind to anyone other than your employer, an enforcement officer, or the Office of Risk Management.
  • Do not make any financial commitment on behalf of the University. 
  • Ask witnesses to stay at the scene until you are able to obtain their names, addresses, and phone numbers.
  • Assist the injured person and summon the appropriate assistance needed after seeking the permission of the injured person, when possible.
  • For potential serious injuries, high value damages, or any situation that you believe warrants the immediate attention of Property & Liability Risk Management, please contact the Office of Environmental Health & Safety. If unavailable, please call (434) 592-4846, for ask for John Peterson for assistance.
  • Take steps to protect public safety when appropriate. Protecting public safety and medical assistance takes precedence over preserving evidence and the scene.
  • If the person with injuries or damages is capable of responding to questions ask for and write down the following information: their name, address, and phone number; the names and their relationship to any people that were with them when the incident occurred; any information they have regarding potential witnesses; their description of what occurred immediately before, during, and after the incident; and their description of their injuries or damages.
  • Notify LUPD at (434) 592-7642 they will be charge with completing an incident report.

Answer 7 - When selling or placing a University owned vehicle in surplus, you must provide the Office Risk Management with the following information:

  • Department Name
  • Year, Make, and Model of the vehicle
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
  • License plate number
  • Date or Sale/Surplus
  • Mileage at the time of the sale/surplus

You can send this information by email (preferred) to John Peterson at

Answer 8 - Contact the Office of Risk management provide the following information:

  • Department Name
  • Year, Make, and Model of the vehicle
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
  • License plate number
  • Date or Sale/Surplus
  • If  the vehicle purchase was financed

You can send this information by email (preferred) to John Peterson at

Answer 9 - A Certificate of Insurance provides proof of the University's insurance coverage to a third party. A Certificate of insurance is sometimes required when entering into a contract or agreement with a third party. Request for Certificate of Insurance Form and additional information can be found on our Certificate of Insurance & Proof of Coverage web page.

Answer 10 - A Certificate of Insurance is required to provides proof to the University's that a vendor or contractor has the proper insurance. The University's policy is to require a Certificate of insurance when entering into a contract or agreement with a third party. Additional information can be found on our Certificate of Insurance & Proof of Coverage web page.

Persons, groups and associations who desire to rent or otherwise be permitted to use University facilities that do not currently have insurance can purchase affordable event specific coverage.

Potential third party users of the University facilities should visit to generate a quote or for more information. 

Answer 11 - In addition to what is mentioned in question 10, there are times when Proof of Coverage is required to verify Professional Liability/Medical Malpractice Coverage while providing services on behalf of the University and Schools within the University that require practicum. Additional information can be found on our Certificate of Insurance & Proof of Coverage  web page.

Answer 12 - You need to notify Liberty Police by calling 592-7642 or 3911 from any LU phone. LUPD will provide assistance and direction. Should you require medical attention LUPD will assist you with transportation and requesting emergency transport if necessary.

As of August 1, 2015, Liberty University provides an accident insurance policy covering residential students. You can view more information on this accident insurance program at this page on the student accident program

Should you have other concerns you should contact Liberty's Office of Risk Management at (434) 592-6446.

chat live 2 Chat Live
Asset 1 Request Info
Asset 1 Apply Now
visit Visit Liberty