WBB Game Day: SIUE
Game Day Links:
Live Video (Washington Live Stream)
Live Audio (LFSN Radio)
Liberty Game Notes
Liberty Women’s Basketball Instagram
Liberty Women’s Basketball Twitter
Liberty Women’s Basketball Facebook
SIUE Women’s Basketball Webpage
Tournament Host Washington Women’s Basketball Webpage
ASUN Women’s Basketball Webpage
Monday – 3 p.m. Eastern
Washington Live Stream
Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jason Dorow
Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio
WQLU 90.9 FM The Light
Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall
Liberty’s Top Storylines
• Liberty (5-5) will close out its stay at the Husky Classic and its non-conference schedule on Monday with its first-ever meeting matchup against SIUE (1-8).
• The Lady Flames, who posted their first-ever Pac-12 win with a 66-54 triumph over Washington on Sunday, will aim for their third 2-0 regular-season tournament appearance in the last two seasons.
• Liberty is just 1-2 all-time against Ohio Valley Conference opponents and is facing an OVC foe for the first time in 18 years.
• Liberty’s leading scorer (14.1 ppg) and rebounder (7.9 rpg), Mya Berkman became the 20th 1,000-point scorer in program history during a Nov. 27 meeting with Minnesota. She then became the Lady Flames’ 11th player with 700 career rebounds during a 17-point, 10-rebound performance at No. 1 South Carolina on Dec. 11. That marked her fourth double-double of the season and the 11th of her career. She posted 14 points and a team-high seven boards on Sunday.
• Fellow post player Jordan Bailey led all players with 19 points on Sunday, equaling her career high. She hit three of Liberty’s nine triples on the day, as the Lady Flames shot 50 percent from long range.
Notes and Anecdotes – Liberty vs. SIUE
• SIUE is one of four first-time opponents on Liberty’s 2022-23 schedule, along with Salem (Nov. 10) and ASUN newcomers Austin Peay (Jan. 26) and Queens (Feb. 16 & 18).
• Liberty will try to record its first-ever victory against a third different opponent this season (also Salem on Nov. 10 and Washington on Sunday).
• SIUE will be just the second opponent in Liberty’s first 11 games (also Radford) which entered the contest with a losing record.
• Both teams are coming off come-from-behind road wins over previously 8-1 opponents. Liberty topped Washington 66-54 on Sunday for its first-ever Pac-12 victory. SIUE won 62-60 at Northern Illinois on Saturday for its first victory of the season.
• Liberty is aiming to go 2-0 at a regular-season tournament for the third time in the last two seasons.
• SIUE Head Coach Samantha Quigley Smith was a freshman on the DePaul women’s basketball team in 2006-07, just missing back-to-back years of the Blue Demons facing Liberty in the NCAA Tournament. The Lady Flames topped DePaul (and Quigley Smith’s older sister Allie Quigley) to reach the 2005 Sweet 16 before losing to DePaul in the first round in 2006.
Liberty vs. OVC
• Liberty is 1-2 all-time versus Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) opponents and is facing an OVC foe for the first time in 18 years.
• Liberty lost its first two meetings with OVC opponents, including a 74-67 home loss to Morehead State on Dec. 6, 1991 and a 75-71 loss to Tennessee-Martin at Washington on Dec. 20, 1998. The Lady Flames then won their most recent OVC matchup, 74-38 over Tennessee State, Dec. 3, 2004 in Manhattan, Kan.
• Liberty plays in the ASUN Conference with a trio of longtime OVC squads in Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky and Jacksonville State.
• Liberty will play in two regular-season tournaments in 2022-23, including the Cavalier Classic (Nov. 26 & 27 in Charlottesville, Va.) and the Husky Classic (Dec. 18 & 19 in Seattle).
• Last season, the Lady Flames went 2-0 at both of their regular-season tournaments (Navy Classic in Annapolis, Md. and South Padre Island Classic in South Padre Island, Texas). It was the first time Liberty finished unbeaten in all of its regular-season tournaments since 2007-08.
• Liberty played in Washington’s Seattle Times Classic on Dec. 19 & 20, 1998, going 0-2. Like this season, the Lady Flames faced the Huskies on day 1 and an Ohio Valley Conference member (Tennessee-Martin) on day 2.
Featured in Main Photo: #12 Dee Brown