WBB Game Day: North Florida
Game Day Links:
Live Video (ESPN+)
Live Audio (LFSN Radio)
Liberty Game Notes
Liberty Women’s Basketball Instagram
Liberty Women’s Basketball Twitter
Liberty Women’s Basketball Facebook
North Florida Women’s Basketball Webpage
ASUN Women’s Basketball Webpage
Thursday – 11 a.m.
Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Richard Miller
Color Analyst: Nancy Miller
Sideline Reporter: Matison Little
Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio
WQLU 90.9 FM The Light
Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall
Liberty’s Top Storylines
• Liberty (8-6, 2-1 ASUN) will tip off a two-game Jacksonville swing Thursday morning with a visit to North Florida (4-9, 1-2 ASUN).
• The Lady Flames are 6-4 all-time against the Ospreys, having won each of the last three meetings. Liberty’s 56-38 win at UNF Arena last season was the first-ever victory by a road team in the series.
• In search of its first ASUN road win of the season, Liberty is coming off of back-to-back victories and has won five of its last six outings overall.
• Mya Berkman leads the Lady Flames in points (14.6 ppg) and rebounds (8.0 rpg) while ranking No. 1 nationally for field goal percentage (70.5). She is shooting 76.2 percent (16-of-21) during her last three visits to UNF Arena and scored a team-high 12 points during the Lady Flames’ 56-38 victory at UNF last year.
• Dee Brown is averaging 11.6 ppg in five career meetings with North Florida, and her lone career double-double (15 points, 12 rebounds) came against the Ospreys on Jan. 12, 2022. She is shooting a team-best 86.5 percent from the foul line this season, aided by a current streak of 12 consecutive makes.
Notes and Anecdotes – Liberty vs. North Florida
• Thursday marks the only scheduled meeting between Liberty and North Florida this season. The Lady Flames and Ospreys squared off 10 times during the previous four seasons, including twice in the ASUN semifinals (2019 and 2021).
• Liberty’s 56-38 win at UNF Arena during the teams’ most recent meeting (Feb. 17, 2022) marked the first-ever victory by a road team in this head-to-head series. The home team had been victorious in each of the previous eight matchups contested on one of the squads’ home courts.
• This is the second time in four years that Liberty and North Florida will square off at 11 a.m. on a weekday inside UNF Arena. The Ospreys topped the Lady Flames by a 65-50 count in a similar situation on Jan. 27, 2020 before a youthful crowd of 3,231.
• Thursday’s game will match up two of the top five scorers in the ASUN. First-year Osprey Lyric Swann ranks No. 3 at 15.2 ppg, while the Lady Flames’ Mya Berkman is No. 5 at 14.6.
• Both universities have been in existence for approximately 50 years. Liberty was founded in 1971, one year before North Florida opened its doors for the first time.
• Fourth-year Liberty Athletic Trainer Laura Mancuso is a 2013 graduate of North Florida.
Outstanding vs. the Ospreys
• Mya Berkman has shot well during each of her last three visits to UNF Arena. The lone Lady Flame to score in double figures during last year’s 56-38 win at UNF, Berkman has connected on 76.2 percent (16-of-21) of her field goal attempts at UNF Arena since the start of the 2020-21 season.
• Dee Brown is averaging 11.6 ppg in five career meetings with the Ospreys. She posted one of the best games of her Liberty career during last season’s 61-50 home triumph over North Florida on Jan. 12, 2022 at Liberty Arena. Brown notched her first career double-double (15 points, career-high 12 rebounds), while also adding four assists, three steals and a blocked shot.
On the Road in the ASUN
• Liberty is 56-21 against ASUN Conference opponents since joining the league prior to the 2018-19 season, including 22- 14 on the road.
• The Lady Flames are 21-12 in ASUN Conference games on the road (including 0-1 this season) and 1-2 in road contests in the ASUN Championship.
• Liberty is 6-12 when facing ASUN Conference opponents in Florida (including 0-1 season) and 50-9 when matching up with ASUN foes in any other state (including 2-0 this season). The Lady Flames are 1-4 all-time at UNF Arena.
• The Lady Flames have lost back-to-back road games against ASUN foes and are seeking their first ASUN road win since Feb. 26, 2022, when Liberty won 63-57 at Kennesaw State in the 2021-22 regular-season finale.