WBB Game Day: Minnesota
Game Day Links:
Live Video (ACC Network Extra)
Live Audio (LFSN Radio)
Liberty Game Notes
Liberty Women’s Basketball Instagram
Liberty Women’s Basketball Twitter
Liberty Women’s Basketball Facebook
Minnesota Women’s Basketball Webpage
Tournament Host Virginia Women’s Basketball Webpage
ASUN Women’s Basketball Webpage
Sunday – 5 p.m.
ACC Network Extra
Play-By-Play Broadcaster: William Foshee
Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio
WQLU 90.9 FM The Light
Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall
Liberty’s Top Storylines
• Liberty (2-3) and Minnesota (3-2) will square off in the final game of the Cavalier Classic, Sunday evening. Both teams will look to bounce back from tight losses on Saturday.
• Minnesota is 1-0 all-time versus the Lady Flames, notching a 74-60 home win on Dec. 20, 2014. Liberty is 2-6 all-time against Big Ten foes, with both wins coming against Penn State (most recent: 80-68, Nov. 28, 2014 in Atlanta).
• Liberty is seeking its first win away from home this season. The Lady Flames were the first visiting basketball team (men’s or women’s) to win at John Paul Jones Arena, defeating Virginia 75-71 on Nov. 20, 2006. Liberty is 2-5 all-time at the facility.
• Liberty’s leading scorer (12.0 ppg) and rebounder (8.8 rpg), Mya Berkman is just 20 points away from 1,000 for her career. She recorded her ninth career double-double (12 points, season-high 14 rebounds) against East Carolina on Saturday.
• Coming off the bench for the first time this season, Jordan Bailey scored a game-high and career-high 19 points during the Lady Flames’ 72-64 loss to East Carolina on Saturday.
Notes and Anecdotes – Liberty vs. Minnesota
• Liberty and Minnesota will square off for the second time on Sunday, with both squads looking to bounce back from tight losses during Saturday’s Cavalier Classic action.
• The Lady Flames have lost back-to-back games within the same season for the first time since suffering a pair of losses at FGCU on March 5 and 6, 2021. Liberty has not dropped three in a row since a five-game losing streak spanning Nov. 8-24, 2019.
• Both teams are in search of their first win away from home in 2022-23. Liberty is 0-2 away from Lynchburg, while Minnesota is 0-2 when venturing away from Minneapolis.
• Like Liberty’s Dee Brown and Alise Markova, Minnesota’s Angelina Hammond played at Miami Dade College. However, Hammond was never a teammate of Brown or Markova.
• The only previous time Liberty and Minnesota faced one another (Dec. 20, 2014 in Minneapolis), both teams went on to reach the NCAA Tournament later that season.
• Beginning Sunday, Liberty will face three Power Five opponents in five games (also Dec. 11 at South Carolina and Dec. 18 at Washington). The Lady Flames’ last victory over a Power Five foe was a 59-40 home win over Virginia Tech on Dec. 7, 2021. Liberty’s last Power Five win away from home came on Nov. 28, 2014 (80-68 over Penn State in Atlanta).
Liberty vs. Big Ten
• Liberty is 2-6 all-time against Big Ten opponents, with both victories coming against Penn State.
• The Lady Flames’ last Big Ten matchup was a 74-50 loss at No. 23 Michigan on Nov. 12, 2017 in the second round of the Preseason WNIT.
• Liberty has lost three consecutive games versus Big Ten foes since an 80-68 triumph over Penn State on Nov. 28, 2014 in Atlanta.
• The Lady Flames’ first-ever Big Ten triumph was a memorable one. Liberty topped Penn State by a 78-70 score on March 20, 2005 in College Park, Md., for the Lady Flames’ first NCAA Tournament victory in program history.
• Liberty will play in a pair of regular-season tournaments in 2022-23, including the Cavalier Classic (Nov. 26 & 27 in Charlottesville, Va.) and the Husky Classic (Dec. 18 & 19 in Seattle, Wash.)
• Last season, the Lady Flames went 2-0 at both of their regular-season tournaments (Navy Classic in Annapolis, Md. and South Padre Island Classic in South Padre Island, Texas). It was the first time Liberty finished unbeaten in all of its regular-season tournaments since 2007-08. Those also represent two of Liberty’s three seasons with 28 wins all-time.