WBB Game Day: Lipscomb
Game Day Links:
Live Video (ESPN+)
Live Audio (LFSN Radio)
Liberty Game Notes
Liberty Women’s Basketball Instagram
Liberty Women’s Basketball Twitter
Liberty Women’s Basketball Facebook
Lipscomb Women’s Basketball Webpage
ASUN Women’s Basketball Webpage
Wednesday – 7 p.m.
Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Rett McGibbon
Color Analyst: Kelley Deyo
Liberty Flames Sports Network – Radio
Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall
The Starting 5 – Liberty’s Top Storylines
• Liberty (21-2, 9-1 ASUN) will close out cross-divisional play by welcoming Lipscomb (8-14, 3-6 ASUN) to Liberty Arena on Wednesday. It will serve as the Lady Flames’ annual Play4Kay game.
• The Lady Flames are 5-0 against ASUN West Division foes this season and 7-0 all-time versus the Bisons. Liberty has won six straight games overall, nine consecutive home games and 18 straight home meetings with ASUN opponents.
• If Liberty is victorious on Wednesday, it would mark the Lady Flames’ 23rd consecutive season recording 10 or more conference wins, dating back to Carey Green’s first year (1999-2000).
• The Lady Flames’ leading scorer (12.9 ppg) and rebounder (7.3 rpg), Mya Berkman ranks No. 2 nationally for field goal percentage (66.5). She averaged 16.5 ppg versus Lipscomb last year, shooting 82.4 percent (14-of-17) from the field.
• Bench sparkplug Jordan Bailey tallied a career-high 17 points during both games of Liberty’s Kentucky road swing last week. She is averaging 8.2 ppg this season despite playing just 17.5 minutes per game.
Notes and Anecdotes – Liberty vs. Lipscomb
• Liberty and Lipscomb will square off on Wednesday in each team’s final ASUN cross-divisional matchup.
• The ASUN East Division is 22-8 against the West Division so far this season. Liberty is 5-0 versus West Division foes, while Lipscomb is 1-4 against the East, having lost four in a row.
• Liberty owns a 12-1 home record this season, while the Bisons are just 2-10 on the road in 2021-22.
• This will mark the fifth out of the last six Liberty-Lipscomb meetings which have taken place in Lynchburg.
• Two of the last three Liberty-Lipscomb matchups in Lynchburg have gone into overtime, with the Lady Flames winning both contests.
• Liberty is 7-0 all-time against Lipscomb. The Bisons are one of five current ASUN teams Liberty has never lost to (also 8-0 vs. Kennesaw State, 4-0 vs. Bellarmine, 1-0 vs. Eastern Kentucky and 1-0 vs. Jacksonville State).
• Both teams feature daughters of long-time NFL players. Liberty’s Priscilla Smeenge is the daughter of Joel Smeenge, a defensive end for 11 seasons (1990-2000). Lipscomb’s Jalyn Holcomb is the daughter of Kelly Holcomb, a quarterback for 13 seasons (1995-2007).
At Home Against the ASUN
• Liberty has won its first five ASUN home games of the season, improving to 13-0 all-time in conference matchups at Liberty Arena.
• The Lady Flames have won 17 straight ASUN Conference home games overall and have been victorious in their last 18 meetings with ASUN opponents in Lynchburg (including one in the 2020 ASUN Championship).
• Since joining the conference prior to the 2018-19 season, Liberty is 27-5 at home against ASUN Conference foes. The Lady Flames are 48-18 overall when facing ASUN opponents during that time.
Looking for 10 x 23
• Liberty’s next ASUN victory would be its 10th this season, giving the Lady Flames 10 or more conference victories for 23 consecutive seasons, including 19 in the Big South (1999-2000 through 2017-18) and four in the ASUN (2018-19 through present).
• Carey Green has been at the helm for all 23 seasons and owns a 306-56 all-time record in conference games.