WBB Game Day: Hampton
Game Day Links:
Live Video (ESPN+)
Live Audio (Facebook Live)
Liberty Game Notes
Liberty Women’s Basketball Instagram
Liberty Women’s Basketball Twitter
Liberty Women’s Basketball Facebook
Hampton Women’s Basketball Webpage
ASUN Women’s Basketball Webpage
Wednesday – 7 p.m.
Liberty Flames Sports Network
Play-By-Play Broadcaster: Jamie Hall
The Starting 5 – Liberty’s Top Storylines
• After sweeping its two Navy Classic contests over the weekend, Liberty (5-1) will try to complete a 3-0 road swing at Hampton (1-5), Wednesday evening.
• Liberty Head Coach Carey Green recorded career win No. 500 on Sunday against Bowling Green. He joined Paul Wetmore (softball, 547 wins, 1994-2013) as the only Liberty coaches to post 500 victories in any sport.
• Hampton is 11-7 all-time against Liberty. However, the Lady Flames have won the last seven meetings between the two teams, including victories each of the last two seasons. Hampton is looking for its first win over the Lady Flames since Jan. 11, 1996.
• Liberty has won its last 11 meetings with Big South Conference foes and is 3-0 against Big South opponents since leaving the conference after the 2017-18 season.
• The Lady Flames’ leading scorer (14.7 ppg) and rebounder (9.5 rpg), Mya Berkman was named co-MVP of the Navy Classic. She posted 17 points and a career-high 15 rebounds on Sunday vs. Bowling Green for her third double-double of the season.
Notes and Anecdotes – Liberty vs. Hampton
• Hampton owns an 11-7 lead in its all-time head-to-head se-ries with Liberty. However, the Lady Flames have won seven consecutive matchups with the Lady Pirates. Hampton has not topped Liberty since a 73-64 decision on Jan. 11, 1996 at the Hampton Convocation Center.
• Hampton will be looking to stop a four-game losing streak, while the Lady Flames will be aiming for their second three-game winning streak of the young season.
• The Lady Flames and Lady Pirates have faced one common opponent this season. Liberty recorded a 66-61 (OT) home win over James Madison on Nov. 18. Three days later, JMU notched a 78-60 home victory against Hampton.
• Liberty has won three straight matchups with in-state foes, with all three victories coming at Liberty Arena. Conversely, Hampton is 0-3 versus Commonwealth foes this season.
• In its fourth season as a Big South member, Hampton was picked ninth out of 12 teams in the preseason poll.
• Carey Green has taken Liberty to the NCAA Tournament 14 times in his first 22 seasons as head coach. The Lady Flames are seeking their first NCAA bid since 2018. Meanwhile, David Six has coached Hampton to the NCAA Tournament six times in 12 years, but the Lady Pirates have not been there since 2017.
Liberty vs. Big South
• Liberty spent 27 seasons (1991-92 through 2017-18) as a Big South Conference member, winning 16 regular-season championships and 17 conference tournament titles.
• Liberty went 328-88 in Big South Conference play and was 56-10 in the Big South Championship. The Lady Flames have won their last 11 meetings with Big South members, including a 3-0 record since leaving the conference. Two of thos three victories have come against Hampton, which never competed in the Big South at the same time as Liberty.
• This week, Liberty will play back-to-back games against Big South foes for the first time since departing the conference.
Off to a Fast Start
• Liberty has led at the end of the first quarter during all six of its games this season.
• The Lady Flames are outscoring opponents 128-57 in the first quarter, for an average score of 21.3 to 9.5.
• Three times this season, Liberty has held its opponent to five points or fewer during the opening stanza.