Wake Forest Downs Liberty 10-5
The Wake Forest Demon Deacons overcame an early Liberty lead to defeat the Flames 10-5, Tuesday evening at David F. Couch Ballpark.
Liberty jumped out to an early 5-2 advantage in the top of the third, only to see Wake Forest score eight unanswered for the victory. Flames left fielder Three Hillier hit his fourth home run in the contest.
Liberty moves to 28-15 overall. Wake Forest improves to 32-13.
Box Score Highlights
Records: Liberty (28-15); Wake Forest (32-13)
Location: Winston-Salem, N.C. (David F. Couch Ballpark)
WP: Crawford Wade (3-0) | LP: Mason Fluharty (3-2)
1st INNING – LIBERTY – Hill singles, Anderson and Orndorff score, 2-0
1st INNING – WAKE – Turconi homers, Wilken scores, 2-2
2nd INNING – LIBERTY – Keeter flies out, Foster scores, 3-2
3rd INNING – LIBERTY – Hillier homers, Anderson scores, 5-2
3rd INNING – WAKE – Bennett doubles, Kurtz and Cecere score, 5-4
4th INNING – WAKE – Joyce grounds out, Turconi scores, 5-5
5th INNING – WAKE – Tinsman singles, Corona scores, 6-5
5th INNING – WAKE – Cecere doubles, Hawke scores, 7-5
7th INNING – WAKE – Turconi homers, 8-5
8th INNING – WAKE – Reinisch triples, Costello scores, 9-5
8th INNING – WAKE – Corona flies out, Reinisch scores, 10-5
– Wake Forest outhit Liberty,11-3. The Flames committed one error.
– Liberty left five men on base. Wake Forest left 14.
– Mason Fluharty takes the loss for the Flames. The third of six Liberty pitchers in the contest, he allowed two runs on three hits over 1 2/3 innings. He struck out three and walked three.
– Liberty pitchers combined to walk a season-high 12 batters.
– Wake Forest reliever Crawford Wade records the victory. He pitched two scoreless innings, striking out one and walking one.
– Demon Deacons shortstop Michael Turconi hit two home runs in the contest. He had three RBI and three runs scored.
Beyond the Box Score
– Liberty finishes its five-game road swing with a 2-3 mark. The Flames are now 11-10 on the road this season.
– Liberty drops both of its games with Wake Forest this season. The Demon Deacons defeated the Flames 13-6 in Lynchburg on March 22.
With their road trip complete, Liberty returns home for a three-game ASUN Conference series against the Jacksonville Dolphins, this weekend. The series gets underway at Worthington Field at Liberty Baseball Stadium on Friday. Game time is scheduled for 2 p.m.