Strong Fourth Quarter Propels No. 16 Lady Flames to 3-0 Win Over Lancers
No. 16-ranked Liberty scored three goals over the final 15 minutes on the way to a 3-0 win over the visiting Longwood Lancers, Sunday afternoon at the Liberty Field Hockey Field.
Liberty’s fourth quarter surge featured goals from Daniella Rhodes, Martu Cian and Emily Dykema, all on penalty corners. The Lady Flames improve to 6-3 overall following the non-conference victory. Liberty recorded back-to-back shutouts this weekend, also shutting out No. 9 Connecticut 4-0 on Friday.
All six of the Lady Flames’ victories this season have been in shutout fashion. In those six matches, Liberty has outscored its counterparts 39-0.
Longwood slips to 2-7 on the year and has lost four straight.
47’ – LIBERTY – Daniella Rhodes (Reagan Underwood and Bethany Dykema) | Penalty Corner
53’ – LIBERTY – Martu Cian (Daniella Rhodes) | Penalty Corner
55’ – LIBERTY – Emily Dykema (Jodie Conolly) | Penalty Corner
W: Azul Iritxity Irigoyen 6-3, two saves
L: Lara Van Nunen 2-7, five saves
In the 46th minute of action, Liberty freshman midfielder Lou Combrinck entered the circle on the right side and sent the ball of a Longwood defender’s foot to earn a penalty corner. The Lady Flames capitalized on what was their third short corner of the afternoon.
Liberty’s top scorer, senior forward Daniella Rhodes, scored on the corner, firing a shot into the left side of the goal for a 1-0 lead. The assists went to Reagan Underwood and Bethany Dykema on Rhodes’ goal at the 46:05 mark.
The Lady Flames added insurance goals at the 52:40 and 54:44 marks, as Martu Cian and Emily Dykema both scored on penalty corners as well.
Key Stats & Notes
• Liberty earned five of its seven penalty corners in the final frame and attempted nine of its 16 shots in the last 15 minutes of action.
• The Lady Flames finished the game with a 16-10 edge in shots and 8-2 advantage in shots on goal. Liberty won the battle for penalty corners as well, 7-5.
• Rhodes’ goal, her third of the weekend, was her 53rd career goal. Cian’s marker, her sixth of the year, gives the Liberty sophomore 12 career goals. Meanwhile, Dykema’s goal was her third of the season and also third career goal.
• Rhodes added an assist and finished the game with three points. With her three-point effort, she moves into second place all-time in program history for career points with 136 (53 g, 30 a). Rhodes surpassed Agueda Moroni (135 points, 2016-18) with today’s effort and trails only Jill Bolton (156 points, 2017-21).
• Liberty bolsters its all-time record against Longwood to 8-4. The Lady Flames have won three straight meetings in the series. Liberty has scored exactly three goals in each of those wins.
The Lady Flames will return to action on Friday afternoon against the Quinnipiac Bobcats (4-5, 0-2 BIG EAST). Game time for the BIG EAST contest is 2 p.m. at the Liberty Field Hockey Field. Liberty is 4-1 all-time versus Quinnipiac. The Lady Flames defeated the Bobcats 5-0 in last year’s matchup (Oct. 1, 2021) in Hamden, Conn.
Friday’s match is the Liberty field hockey program’s Colon Cancer Awareness Game. For more information and to donate to the cause, click here.