Sorg Places 5th at Hokie Open
Liberty’s Kyley Sorg wrapped up her sophomore season with an impressive fifth-place finish in the Hokie Open women’s 4K on a chilly Friday afternoon at Virginia Tech’s Buford Meredith Cross Country Course.
Bidding for their third straight Hokie Open women’s team title, the Lady Flames came up just short. Host Virginia Tech placed four runners in the top seven to defeat Liberty by a 22-33 score in the low-key competition which featured only 17 entrants.
Women’s Team Results:
1) Virginia Tech – 22
2) Liberty – 33
Women’s 4K Individual Results (17 Total Finishers):
1) Rachel Pocratsky, Unattached – 14:17.0
2) Julie Wiemerslage, Unattached – 14:39.2
3) Ava Hassebrock, Virginia Tech – 14:50.6
4) Ella Breidenstine, Virginia Tech – 14:53.4
5) Kyley Sorg, Liberty – 15:06.9
8) Chelsea Stocki, Liberty – 15:23.4
9) Vivian Reed, Liberty – 15:38.8
10) Sophia Jantomaso, Liberty – 15:43.6
11) Emma Zealand, Liberty – 16:47.4
• Sorg has performed well at Virginia Tech during her career. During her collegiate debut, she placed a team-best 10th at the Virginia Tech Invitational on Aug. 31, 2018.
• On Friday, Sorg placed one spot in front of the individual champion from both last year’s Virginia Tech Invitational and Hokie Open, Emily Schiesl of Virginia Tech.
• Liberty’s No. 2 runner on Friday, Chelsea Stocki, earned her spot on the Lady Flames’ roster at the 2018 Virginia Tech Invitational.
• Stocki was the lone runner among the Lady Flames’ five entrants who had previously competed at the Hokie Open. The redshirt freshman improved by two places and 29 seconds from last year’s race, where she competed unattached.
Liberty's top seven men's and women's runners will race at the NCAA Division I Southeast Regional Championships. The meet, which will determine the qualifiers for the 2019 NCAA Division I Cross Country Championships, is slated for Nov. 15 at Panorama Farms in Earlysville, Va.