Rockets Edge Lady Flames 4-2 on Saturday
The Toledo Rockets edged the Liberty Lady Flames 4-2 on Saturday afternoon at the Three Oaks Park Tennis Complex.
Liberty drops to 0-2, while Toledo gets its first win of 2022 and bolsters its record to 1-1.
Saturday’s match was the Lady Flames’ second of the day. Liberty was originally scheduled to face Toledo on Sunday morning, but the match was moved up a day due to expected inclement weather in Florida.
The Rockets erased one-set deficits in singles on courts five and two to secure the victory.
Toledo 4, Liberty 2
- Cassie Alcala (TOLEDO-W) def. Alexandra Almborg (LIBERTYW) 6-4, 6-3
- Sloane Teske (TOLEDO-W) def. M. Juliana P. Romero (LIBERTYW) 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
- Julia Kuszynski (TOLEDO-W) vs. Tiffany Nguyen (LIBERTYW) 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 5-5, unfinished
- Shalini Tallamraju (TOLEDO-W) def. Maretha Burger (LIBERTYW) 6-0, 6-2
- Patricia Panta (TOLEDO-W) def. Willa Rogers (LIBERTYW) 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
- Micaela Ode Mitre (LIBERTYW) def. Eileen Carney (TOLEDO-W) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
- Tiffany Nguyen/Maretha Burger (LIBERTYW) def. Cassie Alcala/Sloane Teske (TOLEDO-W) 6-3
- M. Juliana P. Romero/Willa Rogers (LIBERTYW) def. Shalini Tallamraju/Julia Kuszynski (TOLEDO-W) 6-3
- Marina Davtyan/Alexandra Almborg (LIBERTYW) def. Patricia Panta/Laura Morera (TOLEDO-W) 7-6 (7-0)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,1,6,5,2)
How It Happened
• The Lady Flames took all three doubles matches for an early 1-0 edge. Liberty’s top unit, Tiffany Nguyen and Maretha Burger, bested the Rockets’ Cassie Alcala and Sloane Teske 6-3.
• The No. 2 Lady Flames doubles team, Maria Juliana Parra Romero and Willa Rogers, trailed 3-2 to Shalini Tallamraju and Julia Kuszynski before winning the final four games and the match, 6-3. Parra Romero and Rogers’ victory clinched the doubles point. Liberty’s Alexandra Almborg and Marina Davtyan completed the sweep with a 7-6 (0) decision over Toledo’s Patricia Panta and Laura Morera on court three.
• Toledo won four of the five completed singles matches.
• The Rockets’ No. 4 and No. 1 singles competitors, Tallamraju and Alcala, put Toledo ahead 2-1 with their victories. Tallarmraju bested Liberty’s Burger 6-0, 6-2, while Alcala scored a 6-4, 6-3 win in the No. 1 slot over Almborg.
• After resting during the doubles session, Micaela Ode Mitre (No. 6 singles) gave the Lady Flames their second point of the match with a 7-6 (3), 6-2 decision over the Rockets’ Eileen Carney.
• Trailing by a set and down 5-2 in the second set, Toledo’s Panta rallied to defeat Rogers 4-6, 7-5, 6-1 at No. 5 singles.
• The Rockets’ Teske overcame a 4-3 set two deficit to Parra to take the match 3-6, 6-4, 7-5. Teske’s victory clinched the 4-2 win for Toledo.
• Liberty will return home for a doubleheader on Jan. 29 against Campbell (10 a.m.) and Georgetown (3 p.m.) at the Liberty Indoor Tennis Center. The Lady Flames posted a 10-2 home record during the 2021 campaign.