Rachel DeRuby Nets Game-Winner at Jacksonville State
Liberty picked up its first road win during conference play as the Lady Flames defeated Jacksonville State, 1-0, Thursday night to improve to 6-3-2 overall and 2-0-1 in the ASUN. Liberty remains unbeaten during conference play and are tied for the top spot in the ASUN Conference.
2’ – LIBERTY – Rachel DeRuby (Assists by Grace Spade and Ivy Garner)
Liberty scored its quickest goal of the season, as Rachel DeRuby scored at the 1:29-mark of the game to take an early 1-0 lead. Liberty would outshoot Jacksonville State 15-1 in the first half as the Lady Flames took a 1-0 lead going into halftime. Liberty’s backline would continue to frustrate Jacksonville State’s offensive attack all night, limiting the Gamecocks to just one shot on goal to come away with the victory.
Key Stats & Notes
- Rachel DeRuby scored her second goal of the season and fourth of her career.
- Ivy Garner recorded her second assist of the season.
- Garner has recorded a point in three of the last four contests.
- Grace Spade recorded her second assist of the season and second of her career.
- Ainsley Leja recorded her sixth shutout of the season.
- Leja recorded one save.
- Liberty outshot Jacksonville State 22-8.
- Eleven players attempted a shot for Liberty.
- Halle Engle led Liberty with four shots.
Thoughts from Head Coach Lang Wedemeyer
“We played some great soccer in the first half, but needed another insurance goal that never came. I don’t think we played the smartest second half, but we survived.”
Liberty will conclude its road trip on Sunday, Sept. 25, when the Lady Flames travel to Kennesaw State. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. and can be seen on ESPN+.