Owls Claim 3-1 Win at Liberty
Liberty won the opening set 25-17 over ASUN North Division leader Kennesaw State, before the visiting Owls rallied for a 3-1 (17-25, 28-26, 25-17, 25-18) win over the Lady Flames, Saturday at Liberty Arena.
Kennesaw State improves to a perfect 6-0 on the season, including a pair of four-set wins over the Lady Flames this weekend. The Lady Flames are now 2-5 overall, including 2-4 in ASUN play.
• For the match, KSU outhit Liberty .281-.234. The Owls served up a Liberty Arena-record 13 aces but also committed 15 service errors. KSU held a slight 50-47 edge in digs, while the Lady Flames led 11-5 in blocks.
• KSU's Lauren Chastang led all players with an arena-record 22 kills to go along with nine digs. Bri Becerra served up a facility-record five aces, while Karlee Groover totaled 17 digs and four aces. Dani Ballou scored 16 kills, while Emma Schurfranz added 14. Jessie Cohen dished up 48 assists.
• For Liberty, Trinity Watts scored a team-high 10 kills to go along with a season-high nine digs. Amaya Williams posted her third double-double in a row, with 30 assists and a career-high-tying 15 digs. Lydia Burts sent down a career-high eight kills and added a match-high six blocks, while Kainah Williams hit .417 with six kills to go along with five blocks.
• Liberty led from the 4-3 point onward in the first set, outhitting the Owls .259-.122 on the way to a convincing 25-17 victory.
• Watts and Ballou scored four kills each for their respective teams, while Liberty benefitted from five KSU service errors.
• Set two was the closest of the match, as Liberty battled back from a 24-20 deficit, posting two blocks during a 5-0 run. After a pair of sideouts, the Lady Flames still had set point at 26-25. Chastang's kill extended the set, sparking a 3-0 KSU run to the finish which she ended, 28-26, with her seventh kill of the set.
• Liberty posted five blocks during the second set, hitting .333 while the Owls connected at a .256 pace.
• Kennesaw State continued its strong service in the third set, building a 19-11 lead after the team's fifth ace of the set. The Owls also hit an efficient .429 during set three, compared to .111 for that Lady Flames as KSU took set three, 25-17.
• The Owls finished off the match with a 25-18 set-four victory during which they outhit the Lady Flames .387-.222. Chastang sent down eight kills on 10 swings in the final set.
• Kennesaw State is now 8-0 all-time against Liberty in volleyball.
• Liberty is now 3-3 in sets decided by exactly two points this season and 1-1 in extended sets.
• The Lady Flames have posted 10 or more blocks in four out of their six ASUN matches this season.
• Watts posted her fourth career 10-kill match, tying Julia Mangum for the team lead in double-digit kills matches this season.
• Amaya Williams is the first Lady Flame with three straight double-doubles since Hannah Morris, Dec. 7-10, 2019. Those were the last three career matches for the graduated senior.
• The Lady Flames have improved their attack percentage each home match this season, from .144 in the opener against VCU, to .165 and .182 in two matches against Lipscomb and .217 yesterday and .234 today versus KSU.
The Lady Flames will next play on March 5-6, heading to Georgia to take on Kennesaw State, with both matches set for a 7 p.m. first serve.