No. 47 Liberty Takes 4th Place at Coral Creek Club Invitational
The Flames wrapped up their three-tournament swing through the “Sunshine State” with a fourth-place finish at the Coral Creek Club Invitational on Tuesday.
No. 47 Liberty posted an even par total of 852 (282-284-286) following three trips around the Coral Creek Club (par 71, 7,143 yards).
Liberty’s Austin Duncan paced the Flames at the FGCU hosted event, finishing seventh place with a 3-under par 210 (68-73-69).
The Flames will play their first spring event outside the state of Florida on March 13-14 when Liberty participates in the 2022 General Hackler Championship at the Dunes Golf & Beach Club in Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Round Recap – Liberty’s Starting Five:
- Austin Duncan – 7 3-under par 210 (68-73-69)
- Austin Barbin – T12 even par 213 (66-72-75)
- 77 Kieran Vincent – T24 2-over par 215 (73-72-70)
- Isaac Simmons – T47 7-over par 220 (78-70-72)
- Connor Polender – T51 8-over par 221 (75-70-76)
- Individual: Zach Barbin – 83 24-over par 237 (76-81-80)
- Tournament host FGCU dominated play throughout the event, posting a winning score of 14-under par 838 (272-283-283).
- The Eagles used their local knowledge to finish 12 shots clear of No. 38 North Florida, who finished as the runner-up with a 2-under par 850 (285-286-279).
- South Alabama finished one shot behind North Florida and a shot ahead of the Flames, taking third place with a 1-under par 851 (283-284-284).
- Texas A&M, the top ranked team in the field at No. 18 in the latest Golfstat rankings, finished in share for eighth place with a 14-over par 866 (289-290-287).
- Outside of FGCU, North Florida and Liberty, the 16-team field included three other ASUN Conference teams: Jacksonville (12th place +18/870), Lipscomb (13th place +23/875) and Kennesaw State (16th place +61/913).
- South Alabama’s Mathias Lorentzen claimed individual medalist honors with a winning score of 8-under par 205 (67-70-68).
Birdies and Bogeys – Liberty Team Notes:
- Austin Duncan recorded two of his sub-70 rounds of the season during this event (3-under par 68 during the first round; 2-under par 69 during the third round).
- Austin Duncan ranked third in the field in par-5 scoring (4.33 scoring average/-6).
- As a team, Liberty finished the FGCU event tied for fourth in par-5 scoring (4.69 scoring average/-14).
- Austin Barbin led the Flames with 10 birdies, helping Liberty rank second in the 16-team with 45 birdies during the 54-hole event.
- Barbin finished the tournament tied for 12th place with an even par 213 (66-72-75), recording his third top-15 finish of the season.
- Kieran Vincent, who came into the tournament ranked No. 77 individually in the country, finished tied for 24th place with a 2-over par 215 (73-72-70).
Back on the Course – Liberty’s Next Event:
- 2022 General Hackler Championship (March 13-14)
- The Dunes Golf Club (Myrtle Beach, S.C.)
- Hosted by Coastal Carolina
- Par 72, 7,233 yards