No. 25 Liberty Takes 6th Place at Marquette Intercollegiate
No. 25 Liberty opened its 2021-22 season with a sixth-place finish at the 2021 Marquette Intercollegiate at Erin Hills.
After firing a 15-under par 273 during the second round on Monday, Liberty was unable to keep pace with the leaders and closed out the event with an overall 11-under par 853 (287-273-293) following three trips around the famed Erin Hills Golf Course.
The Flames, who are ranked No. 25 in the Golfweek Preseason Coaches poll, will return to the golf course next Monday when they begin play at the Maridoe Collegiate Invitational in Carrollton, Texas. The three-day event at the Maridoe Golf Club will be televised live on the Golf Channel.
Round Recap – Liberty’s Starting Five:
- Connor Polender – T12 5-under par 211 (70-71-70)
- Austin Duncan – T18 4-under par 212 (71-66-75)
- Kieran Vincent – T22 3-under par 213 (72-66-75)
- Jonathan Yaun – T51 3-over par 219 (74-72-73)
- Isaac Simmons – T63 6-over par 222 (77-70-75)
- Following Monday’s play where all 18 teams in the field broke par, only five teams found red figures during a weather delayed final round on Tuesday.
- The course scoring average for the tournament was 72.39 – Sunday 72.88; Monday 70.92; Tuesday 73.37.
- Texas A&M claimed the team title, posting a winning score of 32-under par 832 (282-269-281).
- USF, who led after the first two rounds, finished four strokes behind Texas A&M with a 28-under par 836 (278-270-288).
- Texas A&M’s Walker Lee claimed medalist honors, posting a winning score of 14-under par 202 (66-67-69) following three straight rounds in the 60s.
Birdies and Bogeys – Liberty Team Notes:
- Connor Polender paced the way for the Flames, finishing tied for 12th place with a 5-under par 211 (70-71-70).
- Polender played consistent golf, leading Liberty with 39 pars and finishing under-par in all three rounds.
- The Flames ranked third in the 18-team field, posting a scoring average of 4.67 (-20) on the par-5 holes.
- Austin Duncan, a transfer from North Greenville, finished his first event as a Flame tied for 18th place with a 4-under par 212 (71-66-75).
- Kieran Vincent, a returning All-American, finished tied for 22nd place with a 3-under par 213 (72-66-75).
Back on the Course – Liberty’s Next Event:
- 2021 Maridoe Collegiate Invitational (Sept. 13-15)
- Maridoe Golf Club (Carrollton, Texas)
- Hosted by North Texas
- Par 72, 7,233 yards